Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

IS THIS HOW YOU FEEL WITH HYPOTHYROIDISM?

Hey guys,  lets compare notes.

I was diagnosed with hashimotos a year ago.  I was on a small dose of levo, which was increased 9 days ago to .050.  The Dr. told me that once my tsh gets to 2.0 i will feel normal. my Tsh last checked 9 days ago was 7.93.  T3 was low too.

So I go to bed about 10 pm after I drink about 2 small beers.  I wake up about 9 am and My ears are ringing off the hook.  I feel horrible. I do not want to get out of bed.  I am still exhausted. I take my LEVO and I lay there for about 30 minutes.

9:30 I roll out of bed.  I am EXHAUSTED.   Im foggy, im shakey.  My wife asks me if I want anything to eat, I decline.  I grab a water bottle and I drive to the gym.  At the gym I feel HORRID.  I dont have any energy.  I sometimes will stand there and look at a machine and think "next time".

So I get my half hour at the gym, i head home. I go home and eat something small and I lay on the floor for the next two hours and think to myself "I wonder if the 900 doctors I saw missed something".

2:00 PM -  I start to feel better, I know have a little energy, I play with my kids as much as i can because I know any minute im going to feel crappy again.

8:00 PM -  Ears are now ringing again, im foggy again, im shakey, and I just want to lay down on the floor and I have to tell my wife I dont feel good.

10:00  I finished a glass of beer and im heading to bed.   It was a very joyful day, I felt acceptable (not good) for 8 hours.

Am I fooling myself thinking this is one day going to get better?  Why Do I feel so crappy in the morning?  Should I take my medicine earlier?  Am I not taking enough? Is it something else?

BRuce

Yep, that sounds about right!  You might want to try to try to keep away from the beer. I know, it probably relaxes you, but it really doesn't help. I use to enjoy a glass of wine, but not anymore. Here's the thing about Hashimoto's....yep, you will feel like crap, and no, your doctor won't be of much help other than trying to keep your meds where they're suppose to be. My tsh was high for ;;about 5 yrs.  It finally got to where it's suppose to be. I'm on 150 mcs of synthroid. But also, I've had thryroid cancer, ending up with a total thyroidectomy. I would get up around 7:00 am, take my meds, crawl back in bed. Get up at 9.00, with pains in my leg muscles, feeling like I'm hung over, It would take me around 4 to 5 hrs before I could function properly. Just tired of being tired? You're not alone. And let's not talk about the constipation. How about that brain fog? Yep, sure does mess up your head down to your toes. I've tried different time slots for taking my meds. The best is at 7:00 am for me. It allows me to eat a few hours later without getting sick. I just can't eat that early. And if you feel like you're going crazy, forgetting things, well....just the icing on the cake. You're not crazy, you will eventually learn how to  be patient, because it's all you have. It ***** big time my friend. But helps to see what others are going through. Hope I can be of assistance.  Take care. and Welcome to my world.
Hi Bruce,
Yep you sound just about how I feel - I was diagnosed with hashi's october 2009, nearly one year for me!!  I take my T4 meds at 7am crawl back to bed and sleep some more, I get out of bed anytime between 9 and 11am...suffer brain fog all day most hypo days.  No energy till about 1.30pm and even then I dont have much energy at all.  During this time where I feel ok I attend uni 3 half days a week (never before 1pm - I just cant do it!) and try to get out and do things I have no classes.  The energy level quickly goes back to absolutely zero energy mid evening about 7pm...then its time for TV and lots of DVD's.  Eventually sleep around 10pm.  Its all part of the horrid hashi's!  Eventually though, levels and meds will be stable and hopefully we'll have slightly more energy and feel a bit better!!  Take care :)
Not to sound negative, but it did take me 5 yrs. before I started to feel better. It just took that long to get my meds right and to get my tsh where it's suppose to be.My tsh was so high for most part.  The heart palps are not as had anymore, and believe it or not, I do have more energy than I use to. It just took such a long time for me because I had Hashi's and thyroid cancer. It's not easy, but if you can find a good endocronologist, one who's main thing is thyroid, then you're off to a good start. Most endo's are mainly treating diabetics and spend little time on thyroid issues. I'm on my 4th endo, and I do not regret giving the others  the boot. I've suffered for over 5 yrs and now I can say that things are getting better. Still having problems, just not as bad as it use to be.Wish you all the best of luck and good health.
I feel a lot better than I used to and hope you will too, soon.

I never had the ringing in my ears you describe, but wiped out and shaky yes, I had that and it was horrible. I was off work and felt like a complete cabbage for the best part of 4 months Nov 2009 - end Feb 2010. I was still pretty shaky when I got back to work at the start of March, did a phased return for a month and struggled with it but have been full time again since the start of  April. I still feel I am a bit more tired than I ought to be and my thinking is not as sharp as I believe it used to be but the people I work with say I seem fine now and I am basically able to live my life though I'm still trying to improve my health back to get back to being 100%. I am MUCH better than I was.

I don't know why your doctor is saying you will feel fine when your TSH is 2. Everything I've read indicates that most people feel better with a TSH close to 1 and both FT4 and FT3 also need to be looked at. My TSH was less than 1 by the time I felt abled to get back to work. The most important thing is how you feel, blood test results should come second to that. The fact that you feel so terrible seems to indicate you are not yet on the right dose.

You will want to be re-tested every 6 wks and your doc should increase your dose till your results look optimal AND you feel a lot better. I went up in stages from 50 - 75 - 100 - 125mcg while I was off work. Most recently I have started trialling a low dose of T3 meds and that seems to be giving me a further boost back towards fuller health.  

I agree with Bet that the beer is probably not doing you any favours right now. I hope you won't think I'm a terrible hippy for suggesting it but seriously, why not try camomile tea as an alternative relaxant. i also think you should forget about the gym till you feel better. a slow gentle walk in the fresh air sounds more likely to be what you need right now.

Oh Bruce, so sorry you are going through this. We've all experienced similar and feel for you.

wishing you well again. peace and light.

thanks for your kind words.  I cant figure out of the ringing is from not enough levo or too much levo.  I also added a tiny bit of t3 the last two days and have felt horrid..  I just have this .... unsettling feeling all the time.  Like i need a valium or something...  It sux....
They want me to try "armour" because of the terrible ear ringing i get from levo thyroid.  Has anyone made the switch?

thanks