A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members
203342 tn?1328737207

Infection on Thyroid

Is it possible to have an infection on your thyroid? I just got back from seeing a doctor and after going over my blood result tests he believes a lot of my throat issues (raspy voice, achy feeling and/or lump feeling at the base of my throat) is due to an infection on my thyroid and once we clear that up I should be fine.
My TSH levels were within normal but my T3 and T4 were high. He retested to make sure I don't have Graves and that came back negative. He's now saying he believes I have an infection there and that once we clear that up the levels should drop back down. What do you all think?
2 Responses
1013194 tn?1296459481
Hi..I have not heard of an infection, maybe he meant an inflammation that happens with Hashimoto disease..Has he done a antibody test to check for this, Also have you had a scan if you feel a lump, this could be a goiter..Dawn
203342 tn?1328737207
Thanks Dawn. It's hard to explain. It's not a physical lump you can feel. It's more of a sensation of a lump in my throat. Sometimes it feels a little constricted.

He didn't say anything about Hashimotos. I would assume if he checked for the Graves he would have checked for all things. I can't really tell by looking at the blood tests as they're all letters and numbers, etc. I don't even know what half of them stand for!

He believes I have infection going on in my body because of the way the blood tests turned out. He said my adrenals are not working as well as they should. My protein is low, calcium is low, liver is sluggish, Hemoglobin is a little elevated and T3 and T4 is high. I don't understand any of this. I hope I'm saying all of this right. He did a lot of testing!
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child