Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Is there an alternative to Cytomel

I started on Cytomel last August - the dose was way too high and with some invaluable help from this forum, gradually reduced my dose. Each time I reduce the dose, the palpitations abate for a while, then return. By Xmas I had cut it out altogether. The palpitations had stopped but I started to get other symptoms i.e. - depression, tingling in feet at night, weight gain.
Hardly surprising then, that my latest bloods (as of two days ago) read as follows:

TSH 2.03   (0.27-4.2)
FT4  10     (10-24)
FT3  2.4    (2.8-7.1)

My Levo is 100mcg and this morning I took another Cytomel (5mcg); some 10 hours later I can feel my heart racing again.
My question is - is there an alternative to the above regime? i.e. Armour? Are there some people who simply cannot tolerate Cytomel?
Towards Xmas, I was breaking my 5mcg pill in half (i.e. 2.5mcg daily) and even that was making my heart race.
Maybe I haven't stuck with it long enough - the insomnia was making me feel wretched apart from the palpitations, which is why I quit.

Any thoughts/suggestions/miracles (!?!) gratefully received.....

20 Responses
Your FT4 is at the bottom of its range. Havent you been suggested a levo increase yet?
I last spoke with my Endo late October when I had the results below

24 Oct 2011
TSH  0.04  (.27-4.2)
T4    24.8   (12-22)
FT     7.5   (3.1-6.8)

I told her I was having palpitations. She suggested I cut my Levo from 125 to 100 and my Cytomel from 10mcg to 5mcg.

I did this and by mid November my bloods were much better:

9 Nov 2011
TSH    0.8     0.27-4.2
FT4    20     10-24  (12-22)
FT3    5.7    2.8-7.1  (3.1-6.8)

However, I was still having palpitations, so I cut the Cytomel down to 2.5mcg, then about a month later, cut it out completely.
Are the palpitations something one has to get used to I wonder? I can see that my results from 9 Nov were pretty good. Maybe I should have tried harder - given it more time.
sorry - the results for 24 Oct should be FT4 and FT3
When do these palpitations occur during the day?

When you stopped the Cytomel, did you also reduce the Levo?

Since your FT4 and FT3 have gone down, as shown in your last labs, are you still having palpitations?
1202943 tn?1347844252
There's always desiccated thyroid, but some drs don't want to give.  

Right now your FT3 is way to low & your FT4 is too low.  How long did you stick with with each dose?  Your body really needs time to adjust to T3 meds and you really want to take the dose twice a day.  It took my body 2-3 months to adjust.  I would get heart palpitations later in the day before I took my second dose.  Kind of weird.  I notice now if I forget to take my second dose I might get palpitations.  You may want to try 2.5mcg twice a day again for awhile and give your body time to adjust. You may also need a T4 boost.  Also, you don't want to take the second dose to late in the day.
The palls occur about 6 or 7 hours after taking the Cytomel and continue on and off for most of the day.
When I stopped the Cytomel, I had reduced the Levo  from 125 to 100mcg about two months previously. I have made no further reduction as I have gradually tapered off the Cytomel
There have been no palps since stopping the T3 but some other symptoms are returning (i.e. depression, weight gain and a sort of hot tingling in my feet at night)
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.