Thyroid Disorders Community

Kidney Stones and Thyroid Issus

I am 31 year old female and diagnosed with Hypothyroid when i was 20 and Hashimotos about 5 years ago. This past April I began to suffer from kidney stones and had surgery for removal. Just six months later I am experiencing some pain in my kidneys again. I have been doing reserach on the Parathyroid and have read that there may be a correlation with kindey stones and thyroid issues. Any feedback or websites would be very helpful! Its been a very long frustrating battle and my current doctor does not seem to really understanding my frustrations...
COMMUNITY LEADER
Kidney stones are often present with parathyroid disease, but parathyroid is totally unrelated to thyroid, except for the location in the body.  There are usually 4 parathyroids and they are located directly behind the 4 corners of the thyroid.  

The only function of the parathyroids is to control calcium throughout the body.  Calcium, in turn, controls the body's electrical impulses.  On the other hand, the thyroid gland produces hormones that control metabolism, heart rate, body temperature and other vital functions of the body.

The best site I know of to research parathyroids is www.parathyroid.com

Hypothyroidism can adversely affect all the major systems of the body and this includes abnormal calcium metabolism which contributes to kidney stones and gallstones.
For a friend I am looking for some info on the effect of  hypothyroidism on calcium levels.  Got any of your usual great references on that subject?
Hi gimel. :)  I read this information from a thyroid book. I was recently suspended for 5 days for mentioning a website on this forum so i'm not sure if i can mention the book name. O_o
Have you been seen by a nephrologist? (sp?)
COMMUNITY LEADER
Mention of and/or links to competing web sites are not allowed on MH; to my knowledge, it's okay to mention a book, so long as it's not used constantly, or touted as a "cure all", etc.  When in doubt, best to contact MH.
wow ! that is so helpful to me - im a long term sufferer of kidney stones my first at 14 and hate to tell you but the older I get the more I make Im now 60  -I have 4 stones thats 2 in each kidney at the moment and are all about 6mm  waiting for an ultrasound in Sept 2015 to get accurate location and size then what ? another op - Karen UK
COMMUNITY LEADER
Have you had your calcium and parathyroid hormone levels tested?   If not, I'd suggest you ask your doctor to do so, while you're waiting for that ultrasound in September.