Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Losing hope

Im at a loss with my thyroid. My latest TSH was 13.150, free T3 3.10, free T4 1.4, anti microsomal antibody 132... I have Hashis and hypothyroid.  I currently take 300mcg of Levothyroxin and 25mcg of Cytomel, and have for years.  Ive gained a huge amount of weight, hoarse voice, annoying cough, dry skin, you name it, Ive got it kinda thing. Im so frustrated, I had to have a hysterectomy due to heavy bleeding 3 years ago. I also have symptoms of both hypo and hyper. Im getting a second opinion next month, but Im at my wits end.  My joints hurt so bad some days its a challenge to walk. Any advice?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes, we do need to see your reference ranges.

300 mcg T4 and 25 mcg T3 is a huge dose of both.  How and when do you take those?  Do you have any issues with absorption as far as any other meds, supplements or nutrients are concerned?

When thyroid hormones aren't adjusted properly, we can have joint pain.  However, once we have one autoimmune disease, we are more susceptible to developing others.  Have you been tested for RA regarding your joint pain?
Helpful - 0
Check your Vitamin D levels though its commonly mentioned as a bone and immunity raising vitamin it also plays a major role in thyroid hormone utilization and overall mental function.

300 mcg of levothyroxine seems like a huge dose for any person. Usually a person need thyroxine of around 1.6 times of body weight. For example a 50 kg person approximately need around 75 mcg for full replacement provided they don't have any problem absorbing thyroxine. Too much of thyroxine actually make metabolism slow down and raise weight, cholesterol etc. Too much of free thyroxine is harmful to body and as a safety mechanism liver converts excess free t4 to reverse t3 which reduces existing t3. Also taking T3 only drug not seem to work as expected as you are giving a high dose of T3 which only exist for a few minutes or hours and body require a continuous supply of free t3 for proper functioning of various cells.

Helpful - 0
16428684 tn?1460085084
Sounds like you are hypo. Please post your results again with the reference ranges so that the experts here can best respond  to your situation.  (reference ranges vary from lab to lab)

If you have results of Vitamin D, Ferritin and B12 that will also be valuable.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.