Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

MEN WITH NODULES & HYPOTHYRIOD

I'M LOOKING FOR A MAN BETWEEN THE AGE OF 35-40 WITH MULTIPLE NODULES & SEVERLY HYPOTHYRIOD. THEY SAY THIS IS VERY RARE IN MEN. I'M SCHEDULED TO SEE A SURGEON NEXT WEEK. MY ENDO SAYS I NEED TO CONSIDER SURGERY. ON ULTRASOUND, THE NODULES KEEP GETTING BIGGER EVEN THOUGH I TAKE .150MCG OF SYNTHRIOD. THE BIGGEST BEING ONLY 7MM BUT IT WAS 3.9MM SIX MONTHS AGO. SHOULD THEY BEING GROWING THAT FAST? I'VE READ THAT NODULES IN MEN ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE CANCER. THE BIOSPY WAS INCONCLUSIVE-SUSPICIOUS. ON THE UPTAKE SCAN IT SHOWED TYHRIOD FUNCTION @ 1.1% & COLD. YOU JUST DON'T COME ACROSS ALOT OF MEN WITH THIS. PLEASE HELP!!! I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. THERE IS ALOT OF IMPRESSING INFO ON HERE. THANK YOU

I'm a 39 guy recently diagnosed with a large nodule, since then they have discovered another small nodule about 1cm. Fortunately I'm not hypothyroid, I'm eurthyriod

Here is transcript from my ultrasound.

There is a large solid nodule arising from the mid to lower portion of the right lobe of the thyroid. This is quite well circumscribed with a halo appearance about its margin. It has dimensions of 4.2 x 2.5 x 2.8cm. It has a slightly heterogeneous echotexture and is entirely solid. Some blood flow was identified within it, although blood flow was more marked around the periphery of the nodule.

My blood tests are normal according to my doctors and I have done a biopsy and it came back inconclusive.

Surgery is so final..
I'm a 35yo male.  They found a 1cm nodule in Nov. and the FNA came back inconclusive / suspicious.  My thyroid function is otherwise normal.  I've seen an Endo & Surgen and talked to my family physician, they all agree that I should have an open biopsy with potential partial or full removal of my thyroid dependent on what they find.  They all indicated that part of the reason they recommend this is due to the additional risk factor of my being male. . .

I have scheduled with surgery but still have moments where I wonder if it's really  needed. . .
During a physical about twelve years ago the doctor found a nodule on my thyroid.  They did a biopsy and found nothing and that was it.  Two months ago I went to the doctor to see about having a fatty lump on my shoulder removed and also have him check out the nodule on my thyroid.  He sent me to a sergeon who told me that he could remove both at the same time.  The day of the surgery they did an ultrasound on my thyroid because they didn't know enough about it.  After the ultrasound they decided to wait and only remove the fatty lump on my shoulder.  I went back to the surgeon for a post op check-up and he gave me a pamphlet on the thyroid which had information on hypothyroidism, hyper, and nodules or goiders.  After reading through the pamphlet I noticed that I had most of the symtoms of hypothyroidism.  I've made an appointment to get some test's done to find out if this is what I have, but what I don't understand is why wasn't I told about this twelve year's ago!  The fact of the matter is, we as patient's have to take it upon ourselve's to do the research!  I thought my symptoms were just a part of getting older, but they're not!   I would prefer to take medication which can reduce the size of the nodule and relieve my symptoms rather than have my neck cut open and find out that wasn't nessary!  
Diagnosed with this at 35 and it has progressed. Reported symptoms of anxiety, depression, and irritability to work and I was condemned with a Fitness for Duty Evaluation. I have very low test and have gone from .25 to .75 and now back to .50 Synthroid and was on one injection a wk. Have Endo in 4 weeks.  Is there any information out there that symptoms are covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act to fight off uwarranted action from employer?