Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Malawi- question about supplements

HI- I have read your previous posts about how you started taking supplements after your TT.  Are you taking any immune boosters, if so, what are you taking?  I need to build myself up because I am starting back to school with all of those sick children!!  Usually I never get sick, but I am a little more concerned now due to my TT for thyca.  THanks.
Kim
Kim
Yes I have been on a supplement and diet regime ever since my surgery last DEC.The main supplements i take are Beta-1,3D Glucan,COQ10.Alpha Lipoic acid.Vitamin D3,Vitamin E and Vitamin C(6g per day)combined with the amino acids lysine and proline to help stop the spread of viruses.I also drink a Flaxseed oil and cottage cheese smoothie with organic berries(from Budwig diet protocol)every mornibg as well as a green drink mixture every other day.My intake of omega 3 oils is very high and i also do spoonfuls of extra virgin coconut oil and cod liver oil several times per week.I am 44 and my energy level has never been higher.I am convinced that this regime has helped me tremendously during the past 7 months.I also do a exercise called rebounding(mini trampouline)that cleans out the lymphatic system.I have not had a cold or any allergy problems since i started this routine.
Roman
By the way i noticed you are from Ft. Lauderdale>My wife is from Plantation and we now live up the road in the Cocoa Beach Melbourne area.Small world!
Roman
Wow.  That's a lot of "stuff"!!  I'm glad that it's working so well for you.  The place that I work has really gotten on the health kick, and has done some wonderful things for us (fitness classes, nutrition classes, etc.).  They brought someone in to talk with us about adding healthy oils, etc. to your diet and how important it is.  I went out and got the cod liver oil and coconut oil (which I put on toast and LOVE!).  I kind of got out of the habit of doing it as of late, but will start again after surgery.  I eat Kashi products every day - lots of good fiber and protein in those.  I love the pumpkin spice bars.  They remind me of the archway windmill cookies - only lots healthier!!!
Redhed87 - I know the cod liver oil sounds gross, but this guy suggested the lemon flavored stuff.  It's a little on the pricey side, but you only need 1-2 tsp. per day.  It really isn't bad!!  I mix it with a little water and take it like a shot.
Thanks for the info, malawi!!
Lori
What brand of coconut oil do you use. I see a lot on the internet. Please reply. Kelly
I use Nutiva.  It's really good if you like coconut.  It's not overpowering....just a hint of coconut flavor.  It's yummo, as Rachel Raye would say!
I use Barleans as my source of coconut oil as well as flaxseed oil.I use them also for my green drinks(garden of life is good also).I use Carson lemon taste for my cod liver.Also Barleans will sell you flax oil at theyre cost if you have or had cancer.
Roman
Wow!  That all sounds confusing- which one would you recommend the most for someone starting out?  By the way, I actually live in Pembroke Pines- really close to Plantation- I used to live there when I first go married!!!  It is a small world.  Cocoa is nice- Jeannie and Major Nelson used to live there:)
Ha Ha
Im a fan of old tv shows so i got your reference to the Nelsons.
I would start with a good multi vitamin made from whole foods(life essence is a good one)but there are several good ones at your local health food store.I would also get some COq10 which is produced naturally by the body but less and less as we age.Get the chewable kind if possible as they cross the blood brain barrier and get into your system quickly.i would also start with beta 1,3 glucan which builds your immune system and attacks any fungus that may be growing in the body.Those 3 things will help you get a strong immune system along with a healthy diet.Its helped me tremendously...
To Good Health!
Roman
I have heard that Goji berries are good for your immune system and have tons of antioxidents.  They are a little on the expensive side but as I have read they are well worth it.  If you get them, make sure they are the ones fro Tibet/Himalayas not the chinese ones as I am told.  I have started eating them,  They are kind of like raisons.  

I get the Dark Chocolate covered ones to double the antioxidents.  :)

Cheers,
Scott

By the way, I use Pharmanex supplements thru NUSKIN.  Lifepak, Greentea, Bio Ginkgo, and Reishimax.  I split them up throughout the day so I dont take them all at once.  My doc has commented on how quickly I have recovered.
Hey Scott
also try acai berries which are similar to goji.Also try Currants(similar to raisens)which in a recent study are the most powerful antioxidant food on the planet(even more than blueberries).
Cheers
Roman