Most important Thyroid lab results?

If you had to pick two Thyroid results, which TWO are most im[important?

Free T4 and TSH?

I am paying out of pocket at lab.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
If I recall from previous posts, it's already been determined that you have Hashimoto's, therefore, testing TPOab and TgAb is a waste of money, since those are the basis for Hashimoto's diagnosis.  Once you have Hashimoto's, you always have it, so testing those repeatedly is not necessary.

To keep track of your actual thyroid hormone levels, I agree with goolarra that Free T3 and Free T4 would be the tests to get, but it's unlikely that you will find any panel that doesn't include TSH.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that neither causes nor alleviates symptoms; its merely a messenger to the thyroid to produce more hormones and when the thyroid doesn't work, it's useless.

For $80, you can get "Thyroid II" panel (I can send you a link to the page, if you like) from healthcheckusa.com (if you create an account, you "may" get 15% off).  This panel includes Free T3, Free T4 and TSH.  There are 3 testing locations in L.A. plus others in CA that may be closer to you... you can check that out.
Helpful - 1
I'd personally choose TSH and TPOAb.
Helpful - 0
TSH and Free T4 only required to find the suitable levothyroxine dosage needed and for adjustment.

also when result come have a close look at reference range of Free T4 it should be in middle of the range. If its on higher end of range it shows that, that much levo not needed though your TSH may or may not be under normal range.

Helpful - 0
I'd pick FT3 and FT4, but you will probably have a very hard time finding any "panel" that doesn't include TSH.  Can you get FT3 instead of TT3?  Have your antibodies ever been tested before?  Have you checked out some of the online "package deals"?
Helpful - 0
But since I live in Australia I didn't have to worry about costing (reverse T3 the exception here).  When I suspected I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis I went to my doctor with the following lab tests:

TSH
Free T4
Free T3
Thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb)
Thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb)

I had a look and found a thyroid website with a link to MyMedLab and this list of labs costs $125. I'll send you the link to check out.
Helpful - 0
Oh, it includes this:

859 T3, TOTAL
866 T4 FREE, (FT4)
5081 THYROID PEROXIDASE AB
899 TSH
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community