Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Muscles pain/Numbness in arms

I am really tired to death with my TSH level which is playing a ping pong game with me. Since the day i diagnosed to Hypothyroid i am having muscles cramp/joint pain/muscles pain it some times get better which i believe because of TSH level but when i test my thyroid levels it some times came back high or some times came back low . For example in my Oct25th my
TSH 1.1 ( 0.4-4.0)
FT4 1.68 (0.8-1.9)

Levoxyl dosage 100mcg

I started to feel Hyper in just 10 days , push doctor to perform test , in Nov 20th,07

TSH  0.41 (0.4-4.0)
FT4 1.80 (0.8-1.9)

Doctor lower the dose to 88mcg

Jan22nd result

TSH =0.381 (0.4-4.0)
FT4 = 1.1( 0.8-1.9)
FT3 = 3.5 (2.5-4.1)

My doctor said my TSH is normal continue taking 88mcg , instead of increasing the dose , he said my thyroid is started functioning so that is why my level dropped even he lower the dose . he wants me to stay same dose and repeat test in 6 weeks .
My muscles pain/cramp/joint pain is too much , i can write 2 sentence started to have finger joint pain . Today i have to clean my cube within 5 minutes muscles were hurting too much although i didn't lift any hard item .

i also notice my WBC and Neutropilis also went down

WBC 6.0 (4.6-10.2)

Lymphocytes = 40% (10-50%)
Neutrophilis = 48 % (50-70)

Can autoimmune condition like hashimotos reduce Neutrophilis count , what could else be the reason.

My calcium /Potassium level are in normal range .

My hands fall sleep in night because of numbness , may be carpal tunnel syndrome , i need some help here no doctor listening to me . I have changed 3 Endos so far no luck to control my TSH .
Share your stories.
Get another doctor.  This one does not know what he is doing.  You should not be on thyroid replacement at all with a TSH of .381 if this is correct.  Are you sure the decimal point is in the right place? If it is right, you are severely hyperthyroid!  Your TSH of 1.1was in range to begin with!  There should have been no reason to put you on thyroid replacement.  I am no doctor, but if it were me, I would go the the emergency hospital, have them do the testing and refer you to a doctor who knows what they were doing.  Tell them all your symptoms and get some help.  I would also stop taking any thyroid meds until you get to the hospital.  Like I said, I am no doctor, but you could go into thyroid storm if you continue on the meds.
I am having the same problem however without the muscle pain.  In Dec TSH was .236, test this week revealed 3.97.  Had two TIA's within a month of each other.  I have felt so much better on the lower dose of synthroid however the TSH is on the rise and I wonder if we are going to find a happy medium.  I was on .112 for 10 years with yearly checks and was always told in the normal range.  Was lowered to .88 in Dec.

Are you on a statin?  They can cause terrible muscle pain?  
Please participate in this thread , i am in real stress need to know how others are doing related to my problem
I hope you find the answers you are looking for, sorry I was such a bother to you!  Evidently the other poster was also.  I thought this would be a friendly forum.  I hope you get your PROBLEM taken care of maybe it will improve your attitude!
Hey sorry if i hurt any one, i really not sure what part of my attitude bothers you and others . I posted my add because i feel this forum is my family they are kind of same boat as me so they can understand me .
I guess i pissed you because not answer your last post about statin , i am not taking that medicine. I really appreciate for any help anyone can provide which atleast reduce my stress level and stop me thinking about taking antidepressant.
My main issue is muscles weakness /twitching . for example if i talk over the phone just holding my cell phone for less then 5 minutes i started to feel numbness in my hand . Whole night muscles twitching  because of that i could not sleep.

once again i apologies if i hurt anyone which i not intend too.
Where are you guys i need your reply . Please help me get out of this viscous cycle of negativity with my life.
You need to have your thyroid antibodies checked if you are going up and down.  I had muscle pains too; it was not fun.
Get those checked--
Statins are cholesterol meds, like Lipitor or Crestor. There are other names for statin drugs as well. They could be causing your problem if you are taking one of them.

That is why Dusty60 asked. I am not familiar with your history, so I am not sure what drugs you take and if you understood that question.

I'm not sure where the girls are right now, but I can tell you what I know about my own muscle pain.

When I was severely Hyperthyroid, like 0.07, I experienced quite a bit of muscle pain. When I am slightly hyper, like 0.1, I get early twinges of carpel tunnel, but not really much muscle pain. The joints in my fingers bother me, and my wrists and elbows feel like I am developing Carpel Tunnel, but it is nor full blown pain.

If you have been through several Endo's, you must have a fairly long history of thyroid problems.

That may be why you are having pain different from my experiences. I don't know how long you have been up, or down, or what your health is like.

One thought I have is maybe you should ask your Endo about trying a different replacement hormone, like Synthroid perhaps. I would try to stay away from generics if you can.

I know that has nothing to do with your muscle and joint pain, but it may help you with your levels jumping up and down.

I don't know your age, either, but I wonder if maybe your "female" hormones might be interfering with things.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. I don't know if any of it will help.

You sound pretty stressed out. Are you taking anti-anxiety meds "as needed" or all the time, or not at all?

You mentioned anti-depressant. Do you have a perscription for them? Just asking.

Any info you could provide would help other members who might be able to help but do not know you as well as the girls you are looking for.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Wish I could be of more help.  
Thanks a lot for your reply .

Yes i have been dealing Hypothyroid since almost 2 years  and still not get to my comfort zone atleast close to what i felt before even diagnose to thyroid. I was diagnosed Hashi because of my Ab TPO was elevated to 282 .
2007 Jan my doctor switch me to brand Lexoyl but it didn't make much difference . I had prescribed cymbalta in Dec 2006  with Neurontin , i stopped talking Neurointin in July 2007 as it was not doing anything for me , i still had muscles pain /tingling and numbness in my arms/feet. In Oct12 i stopped cymbalta as i don't want to be on Anti-depressant. It took me 3 months to completely get rid of that stupid drug from my system. I had lots of withdrawal symptoms so i don't want to start any other antidepressant.
I am male , i know it is odd to be thyroid in male but i guess i am the unlucky one.
Currently my doctor switch me to Synthroid 75mcg which i was started from today plus selienum 200mg /day  to help reducing the Ab level .

My issues i have these days are

Muscles cramp/pain /twitching.
Numbness and tingling in my arms /feet specially left one.
Joint pain in neck fingers (hard to write a page /type longer in keyboard).Can't stand longer muscles started to hurt so it seems like lot of stiffness.
lack of energy not that bad as it used to be  .

I heard it took longer to completely symptoms free in thyroid even your level is stabilize ?. I have changed many Endos but they don't seem to take me seriously with my symptoms . Please help me  you guys are my forum friends and always get some  peace of mind after reading your replies.

Thanks a lot for your reply .

My issues i have these days are

Muscles cramp/pain /twitching.

Sorry I assumed you were a female.

Your icon is pink, so I figured you were a girl. Sorry.

I'm a guy too, and there are a lot more women posting here than men. Something like 90% of thyroid patients are women.

I understand why you don't want to go back on anti-depressants. I just wasn't sure what meds you were on. I have seen some posters say they take anti-anxiety meds "when they need one" rather than daily, so I was just trying to figure out what what meds you are on and how you are taking them.

It will take a while for symptoms to go away once your levels are correct and stay fairly stable.

I feel a lot like you do, except I don't notice it as much because I had to stop working in October. My muscles don't get much of a workout.

I get a sore back just sitting at the computer. Muscles and joints both. I still get the carpel tunnel feelings sometimes, but again, not like you do because I can't do much of anything.

My heart is weak and any activity or stress makes it hurt, sometimes quite badly.

I haven't had the numbness and tingling, or limbs going numb at night.

I've had insomnia pretty bad lately, but my TSH is around 40.0 right now, so nothing is quite right.

It sounds like you are not close enough to where your body needs to be with your levels. You don't happen to know what the last tests showed, do you?

Your doctor should be trying to get your TSH to be about 1.0 or so. It could be anywhere between 0.5 and 2.0 that will make you feel best, but first you have to get VERY close to what your body needs and then it could take a few weeks to feel better, and several months for most of the symptoms to go away.

Not very encouraging, I know.

I understand what you are saying about the doctors, too. I am on Endo #3, and I'm not sure I like her yet. She keeps losing my information and forgetting who I am. Ignoring what I say.

I think I have finally broken her of that, because she finally figured out that when I tell her something won't work, I'm right and she is going "that isn't supposed to happen".

She finally decided to throw the book away and listen to what I am saying. So maybe I will keep seeing her.

I wish I could be of more help to you.

If you have any test results, post them. If you don't, start asking for copies of your tests. It will help you keep track of what is going on and sometimes you have to wave your medical records in the doctors face to refresh their memory.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
I know for me a lot of times just getting on here and talking helps.