Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Nature Throid causes ammonia sweat???

I was taking Nature Throid but discontinued because of a weird side effect- strong ammonia-smelling sweat while exercising.  Has anyone heard of that before? I was concerned about my kidneys... And had to wash exercise clothes several time to get rid of the smell.  What would cause this?
What other options are out there?
I'm on Naturethroid but I haven't noticed that, but there is Armour, I was on Armour before NT I chose NT due to having way less ingredients and fillers if any. I try and notice the next time I'm sweating I would think it would be very noticeable.
I had kidney failure and smelt very strongly of ammonia all the time. I had to be told as I could barely smell anything as my sense of smell was very poor (one of the numerous symptoms I had of kidney failure).

I found this info from a forum with the question: sweat smells like ammonia? not enough water and fat?...

"the ammonia smell is from protein burning... acetone is from fat burning... *sigh* can you really tell the difference on clothes after exercising... in either case... you are not burning glucose and your body is telling you this by producing byproducts. i dont think it's a bad sign... despite the discovery health post above... protein is the last source of energy your body chooses to utilize... try upping the fat."

"i upped the fat and not only did it stop but i feel amazing again. fitday messed me up by reccommending 73 grams of fat a day. with that little fat and between 40 to 60 carbs a day i was starving. up to between 150 and 200 grams of ffat and i feel incredible.
thanks guys."