Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members

New - Need help undestanding thyroid ultrasound report

I asked for report from Dr and she finally mailed me a copy but I only got page 1 of 3 according to the bottom of the report. I am new to this board so barw with me. I do not understand this or what it could mean so if someone would help me to understand this and now that I have an appointment with a Endocrinologist what should I expect at my first visit. The Endo has received a copy of this US but my PCP ordered it after finding the swelling in my thyroid.
Report reads...
Findings:
There are no comparisons.
The Isthmus of the thyroid is 3.6 mL in thickness.
The right lobe of the thyroid is 6.3 x 2.1 x 1.9 cm in size with a volume of 12.2 mL. The right lobe of the thyroid is smooth in contour and of normal homogeneous echo content.
The left lobe of the thyroid is 6.4 x 1.7 x 1.7 cm in size with a volume of 8.8 mL. The left lobe of the thyroid is smooth in contour.  There is a 0.9 x 0.5 x 0.6 cm nodule in the mid to upper pole containing a tiny calcification.  
Impression:
1. Enlarged thyroid
2. 0.9 cm left thyroid nodule.
End of report that I have.
TSH was normal at 1.25. Dr did not test FT4 or FT3 this time but did last year all fell within normal range.
I have had a lot of the hypo symptoms for years and now feel i am swinging over to hyper symptoms.  Is this anything I should be concerned about as my Dr has treated me though I am just been crazy for 10 years. Are there things I should ask for at first endo appt? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
1 Responses
You have a clinical goiter (21 ml volume ,average 7.5, upper limit 18).
The texture is uniform according to report, so it is not an inflammation (thyroiditis is not likely based on the texture).
Description of nodule is lacking information about the blood flow in it; no blood flow means benign) For best results, get details about Power Doppler flow studies and condition of your lymph nodes on the left side
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.