Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

New HYPO, depression/fatigue - when will Synthroid take effect, etc??

FINALLY! Just diagnosed Hypothyroid (TSH was 6 at highest, usually between 4.5-6.0) I've been suffering for YEARS with all symptoms (chronic Depression, always cold, irregular period spotting, irritability, fatigue, no sex drive..) but doctors never blinked an eye or did anything.

i hear that "Optimal level" for TSH is 1-2.0, so would TSH of 4.5-6.0 be MILD case of Hypothyroid? I am new to all of this. How high is considered clinically "Serious" or "Dangerous" if you are close to the top range TSH 4.5 ? I've heard they only recently lowered the top of TSH reference range from 10 to 3.0. What about in pregnancy? (trying to conceive)?

My free T3 & T4 ( I think) are in range...
Free T4 is 16 pmol/l (ref is 10.0-28.0)
Free T3 is 5.2 pmol/l (ref 3.0-9.5)
No antibodies indicating Hashi's

My doctor just started me on Levothyroxine at night - how soon will I feel any effects and know that it is helping if at all? I also have High Prolactin which could be causing my symptoms - I am desperate to get to the bottom of what is making me feel unwell.

I am 40-year old, healthy/normal weight, female (never pregnant) otherwise, and not on any medications this past year. 20 years of chronic Depression with no help from antidepressants has led me to thinking it is all due to Low Thyroid! Will see an endocrinologist soon for the first time, hoping to get answers.

First off all you are not hypothyroid and only sub clinically hypothyroid so no need of treatment. Treating sub clinical hypothyroidism when TSH less than 10 is of no use and can actually make your symptoms get worse especially if the dose is high. With such a moderately low TSH starting dose should be 12.5 or 25 mcg going beyond this can cause palpitations, insomnia, tremors and other hyperthyroid symptoms.

Doctors actually not care the quality of patient so you should close monitor your condition. If its getting worse need to stop taking synthyroid. Also there is chance of osteoporosis so can result in bone loss resulting in back pain all.

Also another thing is your symptoms are not caused by thyroid as your T4 and T3 levels are under normal range.

If you are experiencing fatigue its worth to do complete blood count to see if your mildly anemic which is common with subclinical hypothyroid people.
I had severe hypothyroid symptoms with a TSH of 6 and free T4 of 13. That isn't normal but in my case it was Hashi's combined with cellular thyroid issues.  I would agree to start off low with those lab results.

I also have high prolactin when tested but I've been dopamine deficient since forever - bane of my existence. Dopamine has the dominant influence over prolactin secretion. There are other causes of high prolactin though like a prolactin secreting tumour.  Despite correcting a long list of reasons that cause dopamine deficiency and exercising I'm still low but a bit better.  There are more symptoms and causes of dopamine deficiency than listed below but it gives you an idea.

***

Pretty In Primal - Dopamine Deficiency (or, I'm Not Lazy After All!)...

"Here is a list of symptoms of dopamine deficiency (with my emphasis added on symptoms I identify with):

1. Physically fatigued easily (Sometimes.)
2. Sleep too much and trouble getting out of bed (Yes on trouble getting out of bed!)
3. Reduced ability to feel pleasure
4. Flat, bored, apathetic (Yes on feeling flat)
5. Low drive, motivation & enthusiasm (Yes, and yes.)
6. Depressed
7. Difficulty getting through a task even when interesting to me (HELL yes!)
8. Procrastinator/little urgency (Mmmm-hmmm!)
9. Shy/introvert (Yes.)
10. Mentally fatigued easily (Yes.)
11.Difficulty paying attention and concentrating (A little bit!)
12.Slow thinker and/or slow to learn new ideas
13.Put on weight easily
14.Crave uppers (e.g. caffeine/sugar/nicotine/diet soft drinks/cocaine/amphetamines)
15.Use these improve energy/motivation/mood
16.Prone to addictions (e.g. alcohol)/addictive personality
17.Light headedness
18.Reduced libido and/or impotence (sometimes on the libido)
19.Family history of depression/alcoholism/ADD

Factors which reduce dopamine levels (with my emphasis added on factors I have):

1. Chronic stress
2. Inadequate sleep (Like, DUH!)
3. Hypothyroidism (Bingo! Hashimoto's!)
4. Lead, arsenic and cadmium exposure
5. Under-methylation (Possibly- I suspect my dad's family under-methylates their B12. They have a strong history of Alzheimer's and dementia.)
6. Tyrosine (precursor) deficiency
7. Magnesium, iron, zinc & vitamins B3/B6/C/D deficiency
8. Excess copper levels (I have melasma and used to be vegetarian, so copper might be a factor.)
9. Genetic dopamine receptor abnormalities
10.Chronic opioid, alcohol & marijuana use
11.Adrenal insufficiency (Definitely!!)
12.Glutathione deficiency
13.Parkinson's Disease
14.Influenza
15.Estrogen deficiency (Yes.)
16.Human growth hormone deficiency"
Let me first say that the emphasis should be on FT3 and FT4, not TSH.  Hypothyroidism is hypothyroidism, regardless of TSH level.  Hypo is rarely "dangerous".  Just to give you some perspective, my TSH on diagnosis was 60-something, and we periodically have posters here who have TSH in the hundreds.  FT3 and FT4 should be adequate when TTC and pregnant...the fetus depends on your thyroid hormones until his own thyroid develops.

Is there some reason your doctor told you to take your meds at night?  Levo has to be taken on an empty stomach, and you can't eat or drink anything for 0.5-1.0 hour after.  So, it's typically take in the morning before breakfast.  How much are you taking?

It takes 4-6 weeks for levo to reach its full potential in your blood.  

Were antibodies tested?  Which ones?

Your FT3 and FT4 are at the top of the lower third of their ranges.  That's a little low of the midrange recommended for FT4 and upper half of range for FT3.  Your TSH is high, which indicates your pituitary would like your levels higher.  
Well, my OBGYN just prescribed Levothyroxine .25 mcg because she obviously thinks my TSH level is too high at 6.0 and I have chronic symptoms that are not going away. She said it is better to take on empty stomach to absorb (therefore before bedtime) She says the optimal level is between 1-2, while trying to conceive, regardless of FreeT3 and fT4. The "normal TSH" range I was given is .10-4.0.... and I have just about every Hypothyroid symptom that has not been helped with any antidepressant/psych meds.

Is the consensus that I should NOT be taking this medication and it will NOT help?? I've had other things tested and there is nothing else wrong that could be causing these symptoms (other than high Prolactin) I've had Antibodies tests (nothing came up - I asked her to test for possible "Hashimotos/autoimmune syndrome") and had an MRI (totally normal, no tumors) I am NOT stressed, and healthy otherwise I am not vegetarian and eat balanced diet and exercise.

I have all of the dopamine-deficient symptoms mentioned above, but all my tests (vitamins/minerals/estrogen are normal) I do not drink excessively not do I ever do marijuana/drugs, I think next steps might be to treat the High Prolactin if the Thyroid med does not do anything...

Ican tick all those symptoms (except the lightheadedness) along with family history. Plus other symptoms from not yawning to being very unorganised. I do now yawn on the rare occasion but it's a short incomplete yawn. I don't yawn when I see someone or think about it. My party trick if you will lol.  

I believe in my case damage was done to dopamine receptors due to to inflammatory cytokines.  My father has Parkinson's too actually so maybe something going on there too. I am going to try some dopamine supplements (I've been saying that for ages...I'll get around to it..stupid procrastination lol). If you are well treated for your hypothyroidism you will soon find out if this is the sole cause of your elevated prolactin levels.
TSH is an indirect measure of thyroid status since TSH is a pituitary hormone.  FT3 and FT4 are direct measures.  TSH is nothing but a messenger hormone from your pituitary to your thyroid to tell it that hormone levels are too low.  FT3 and FT4 are what's important.

Your stomach doesn't get much more empty than before breakfast in the morning.  I'd say 99+% of us take our levo first thing in the morning.  

No, I'm not saying you shouldn't be taking this medication.  Whether it will help or not is yet to be seen.  25 mcg is a low dose; you will have to follow up with more blood work in 4-6 weeks, re-evaluate how you are feeling and adjust meds as necessary.  Our initial dose is seldom the dose we end up on.  It's not unusual to feel slightly worse and have labs get slightly worse upon start meds and until you find the appropriate dose.    

There are two antibodies that are markers for Hashi's, TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies) and TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies).  Many doctors only test for one, but only one has to be elevated to indicate Hashi's, so both have to be tested to rule it out.  I'd make sure she tested both.

Your doctor's fixation on TSH is just plain wrong.  Her advise to take your meds at night is questionable.  It works for some people, but we're advised to take it in the morning unless that doesn't work for us for some reason.  Adjusting thyroid meds is a bit of an art form, and it demands taking symptoms, FT3, FT4 and TSH into account and in that order.  

I think it's great that she's giving you the opportunity to take a trial dose to see if it helps.  I just hope she's savvy enough to be able to evaluate your labs and adjust as needed.