Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

New blood test results with low Free T3

T3 Free 2.5 (range 2.3-4.2) - Isn't this supposed to be in the upper 3rd?
TSH is 2.22 - I am comfortable with this number, I went too hyper and had anxiety attacks
Free T4 is 0.9 (range 0.8-1.8)  I can't remember where the optimal range is
B12 is 325 - I know this is lowish but still "in range", I live with vegetarians and wanted it tested again before I start taking supplements

Taking 88mcg of Levothyroxine
150 mg of Wellbutrin
50mg of Zoloft (for my stomach, but I'm still trying to figure out why my stomach feels the way it does)
600mg 2xday of Oxcarbazepine for my neuropathy (still trying to figure out why this is happening too, thyroid wasn't bad enough for long enough to cause it)

I added the Free T3 and Free t4 to the lab slips on my own.  Doc didn't bat an eyelash at it, said everything was fine.  But also because I told her I felt a lot better in regards to anxiety, depression and my hair.  My periods have gotten weird again, but she said if it was because of the thyroid, I'd be having hot flashes as well.  I'm pretty sure it's due to either the Oxcarb med, new Ovarian cysts or more Endometriosis.  

I've been tested for Hashis and I do NOT have it.  Theory is the hypothyroidism started due to a major injury 14 months ago.  Endo is hoping that it fixes itself in some time.  I'm wondering why the Free T3 and Free T4 are so low.  I know they're "in range", but not optimal.  I'm going to Neuro today and am asking for a bunch of tests.  Going to ask for Celiac even though I don't think I have it.  Going to ask for some autoimmune tests, like Lupus.  Going to ask for some genetic testing as well.  Wondering if the stomach issues, and a little continued heart palpitations are due to autonomic neuropathy rather than leftover hypothyroidism.  
"At least six neurological and psychiatric papers, in top medical journals, have shown that the normal range should be regarded as at least 500-1,300 pg/ml (rather than 200-1,100), since the cerebrospinal fluid level can be deficient when the serum level drops below 500, and neuropsychiatric symptoms often occur at serum levels between 200 and 500 pg/ml (VanTiggelen et al, Lindenbaum et al, Mitsuyama/Kogoh, Nijst et al, Ikeda et al, Regland)."

In Japan and Europe, vitamin B12 serum reference ranges start at 500 or 550pg/mL. You really need to get B12 levels up ASAP. You may find some of your symptoms vanish. My sister had an 8cm ovarian cyst and i had a 25cm ovarian cyst. We both have juvenile autoimmune pernicious anaemia. Was it due to malabsorption of B12? It is a strong suspect so i had a look online about this and found quite a few articles...

"Methionine promotes the excretion of estrogen.

Are you eating any eggs, lentils, yogurt, seeds?

Methionine - is an essential amino acid that cannot be synthesized in the body. Methionine is a precursor for the other sulfur amino acids, cystine, taurine, and glutathione. It has the ability to be a methyl donor to other molecules, which is essential in formulating RNA and DNA. Methionine is necessary for the absorption, transportation, and bioavailability of selenium. In order to be properly utilized, methionine requires the help of its cofactors -- Vitamins B6, B12, choline, folic acid, and magnesium." Heal Thyself - Estrogen dominance

"Methylation involves conjugating methyl groups to toxins. Most of the methyl groups used for detoxification come from S-adenosylmethionine (SAM). SAM is synthesized from the amino acid methionine, a process which requires the nutrients choline, the active form of B12 --methyl cobalamin, and the active form of folic acid --5-methyltetrahydrofolate. SAM is able to inactivate estrogens (through methylation), supporting the use of methionine in conditions of estrogen excess, such as PMS." Tuberose - Liver Detoxification

Hypothyroidism is another cause of ovarian cysts just to add which is another suspect.  I aimed for a TSH of 1mU/L to start with as my sister has more energy then anyone i know and her TSH is 0.9mU/L. I have issues at a cellular level as well as Hashimoto's thyroiditis but my first step was a TSH of 1mU/L.
I forgot to add the source for vitamin B12 reference ranges: John Dommisse MD - Vitamin B12 Deficiency - Symptoms, Signs & Optimal Treatment.
Just wanted to also add this info:

"When progesterone is not abundant enough to offset this role, over growth will occur forming fibroids, cysts and endometriosis. Under estrogen's dominance, too many follicles are produced by the ovary, and those that don't mature to ovulation are pushed to the side of the ovary and continue to grow. This produces ovarian cysts and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).

Although the cause of endometriosis is not known, we do know that Estrogen Dominance is always present and when the Estrogen Dominance is taken care of, the endometriosis is halted. Endometriosis is one of the main reasons for hysterectomies, and is fixable by balancing the hormones." Natural Body In Balance - Cysts, Fibroids and Endometriosis

Okay i'll stop spamming now LOL
Geez i forgot the first section of the article...

"Fibroids, ovarian cysts, PCOS, and endometriosis are all Estrogen Dominance symptoms. Estrogen's main role is the proliferation of cells."

Okay now i'm done. :P
As a rule of thumb, until we each find where we feel best, many find that FT4 has to be about midrange and FT3 upper half of range before symptoms are relieved.  However, that's a rule meant to be broken once we find where we each feel well.  

If you are asymptomatic where you are, there's no reason to push it.  My labs are not as high as yours, and I've been asymptomatic for years.  I also started feeling hyper with my labs still very much within range.  One hypo can be hypo and one hyper with the exact same labs.  It's all about how you feel...  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Even though it's in range, your vitamin B12 is too low.  Low levels of vitamin B12 can cause neuropathy.  If you bring your levels up, some of the pain may go away.

I have pernicious anemia that was untreated for many years and as a consequence, I have some permanent nerve damage, since B12 deficiency affects the nerve endings.

What's your stomach issue?  Hypothyroidism also causes GERD/acid reflux.  I spent years on Aciphex for GERD and since my thyroid levels are in check, I rarely have any type of stomach issue.