Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Nioxin Shampoo

I have been on synthroid for a few years now.  My hair has been falling out & getting worse & worse.  I am female so this was very upsetting & I always had thick hair.  Anyway, someone mentioned trying Nioxin Shampoo.  I bought the shampoo & conditioner.  Well, it is the best thing I have ever done!  After the 1st shampoo, there was hardly any hair falling out.  It is a miracle!  I used to have hair falling everywhere & now there is only a few hairs here & there.  THank you sooooo much for telling me about this.  Also, in addition, I had stopped taking synthroid for about 10 days.  I am going to talk to my Dr. about Armour Thyroid & Cytomel.  Good luck everyone!  This is a great site!

This discussion is related to Synthroid medication causing hair loss.
11 Responses
586424 tn?1232180259
And to think I've just been put on Synthroid!  :(  I'm a little worried.  My hair already falls out, but I don't need any more of it coming out.  :(

Nioxin huh?  I might be buying some of that.  LOL  Thanks!  :)

-K
314557 tn?1232930264
I too have been and continue to lose my hair, it is getting quite thin on top and I have never heard of Nioxin Shampoo but thank you I will give it a try, I've lost enough body parts, I would like to go out with my curls intact! haha.
Cindi
168348 tn?1379360675
Here are some more posts on shampoo and thyroid ..

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/search/73?query=shampoo+hair+loss
Just a note about the Nioxin shampoo.  They have a tremendous line of products.  I bought the Nioxin Cleanser for fine hair-noticeably thinning.  I also bought the Nioxin Scalp therapy for fine hair-noticeably thinning (I use this as a conditioner).  I think it is only sold in beauty salons or beauty supply places.  A wonderful person helped me there.  Do try it.  I hope it works for you too.  By the way, 3/4 of my thryoid was removed about 6 years ago.  
676032 tn?1315677663
Dont worry I don't think its down to syntroid, My hair is falling out to and Im on eltroxin! Its just a symptom of a thyroid problrm! I just started taking silicea tablets to try stop it.. They are pure natural so I hope it works..Im going to get that shampoo to.... I suppose it can be bought in any big store, like tescos or some place like that????
Look up Nioxin online and you will be able to find out where the products are sold near you.  That is how I found it.  Also, I am taking a lot of B vitamins along with 200mg of spironolactone (a prescription from my endocrinologist; also supposed to help with hair loss).  I will try anything & everything.  It is a terrible feeling to be losing your hair, I know.
676032 tn?1315677663
I know, it wouldn,t be to bad if we wer males, but for women to loss their hair, wel thats just a nightmare!!!!
I would like to know how something you apply topically can keep the hair from falling out?  I'm willing to try Nioxin but I'd like to know how it's going to work. Maybe it super glues the hair to your head!  Hey, works for me!
I bought the Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and my hair comes out looking and feeling like a Brillo pad when I use it.  It also feels like my scalp is burning and tingling when i use it.  I don't like it at all.  It is also on the expensive side.  I find I see more hair in the hair trap in my shower when I use it than when I use Nexxus or Pantene.  And they leave my hair looking and feeling nicer.

I purchased the Nioxin products at a Supercuts Salon.
I invested in some Nioxin after lots of people suggested it, and I couldn't tell much of a difference, but I always figure buying shampoos to make a huge difference on your hair was a bit of a crapshoot anyway, so I didn't hold it against Nioxin. But then after my friend recommended the Shielo Volume Shampoo last month, and I swear I can tell a difference. I lost a lot of hair due to poor diet and high stress (paired with significant weight loss) at the end of the summer, and for the first part of the fall I was so insecure and self conscious about my hair.

I've tried to keep up with some vitamins and have been eating a lot better, so I'm sure that plays a part in the change in my hair, but I swear this Shielo shampoo has also made a difference when no other shampoo ever has before. My hair is babyfine and flat and losing ANY of it was frustrating. It really does feel thicker now.
I found a good supplier on ebay (unwinde_me) and have bought a big tub of shampoo, conditioner and treatment all for a reasonable price.  I have also noticed a difference in the amount of hair loss.  Mine is due to hypothyroidism too and now dont lose half as much hair
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.