Please help me....

In 1998 I had a heart attack at 34.  Two months later I was diagnosed hyperthyroid with goiter and underwent Iodine radiation therapy to remove it.  I started on a huge dose of synthroid 200 mcg per day.  For years I have struggled and I still am.  In January 2018, my labs showed a TSH of 0.21L and T4 free of 1.4.  The doc has me on 112 mcg per day now.  This week, my labs show a TSH of 0.13 and a T4 free of 1.5.  I have all the symptoms of being hypo.  Tired, no focus or concentration, increased weight gain, constipated, brain fog, muscle aches and I can sleep the clock around.  Please tell me what to do.  I am so tired of this.  How can it be possible to have labs that show hyper and feel lousy at the same time.  
Excerpt from Hypothyroid Mom - Top 5 Reasons Doctors Fail To Diagnose Hypothyroidism...

"Mary Shomon, author of the book that changed my life Living Well With Hypothyroidism, shared this important list of recommended lab tests.

Thyroid Tests "Normal" But You Don't Feel Well?

If you're undiagnosed, or a thyroid patient taking thyroid hormone replacement medications, being in the "normal" range does not mean you feel well, or that your treatment is optimized. What levels are considered "optimal*" by many integrative physicians?

~ TSH - Typically less than 2.0
~ Free T4 - Top half of the reference range
~ Free T3 - Top half - top 25th percentile of reference range
~ Reverse T3 - Lower end of normal range
~ Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPO) - Within reference range
~ Vitamin D - Above 50
~ Ferritin - Above 60 (Above 80 if experiencing hair loss)

* we are all different, one size doesn't fit all, so these are guidelines. Your optimal levels may vary."

Just to add to that, the vitamin D listed above is in ng/mL so above 50 ng/mL converts to above 125 nmol/L.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Queen1965... Have you never had a Free T3 test?  If no, insist that your doctor order Free T3, along with TSH and Free T4.  Free T3 is the active hormone that's actually used by nearly every cell in our body.  

Free T4 is considered a "storage" or "pro-hormone" and must be converted to Free T3.  This is a process that our body is "supposed" to do automatically, but not all of us can do this adequately.  Often, if Free T4 levels are high, we find that Free T3 levels will be too low because of inadequate conversion.

You may not be converting the Free T4 at all or you may be converting it to Reverse T3, which is a mirror image of Free T3 but is inactive and blocks Free T3 from entering the cells.  

When we have inadequate Free T3, it's necessary to add a source of T3.  This can be done, either by adding a T3, only, medication such as cytomel or its generic, liothyronine or by switching to a desiccated hormone, such as Armour, NatureThroid, etc.

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community