Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Positive RAI stories

Hi, I have been recently diagnosed with Graves and have been to two endos who both want to do RAI.  I have a low white blood cell count, so they don't want to do anti-thyroid meds.  I am extremely afraid of RAI after reading sooooo many horror stories.  I am looking for some positive stories of people who had no problems and didn't gain tons of weight.  The doctors make it sound like there is nothing to it.  Please help.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
176557 tn?1222890311
Sorry, I  don't have any RAI experience to relate, but had a total thryroidectomy for Graves two years ago - it accomplishes the same result as RAI but in somewhat quicker fashion.

I have worked hard over the past 2 years to keep my weight to where it was when I had the surgery.  I have gained some and lost some, but have managed to keep my weight stable.  The key is to get your thyroid levels stable so you aren't hypo all the time - that is what leads to weight gain in a lot of cases.

I hope you get some positive RAI stories, but don't be discouraged if you don't get many.  That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any, just that people who have had positive experiences with RAI for Graves are feeling well and aren't looking for answers on a board like this right now.  I wish you the best.
Helpful - 0
369861 tn?1306275686
Hi,
I had the RAI treatment and Im exactly sure what you are looking for when you say "positive stories."

I had the treatment in December '07 and I went from hyper He\\ to hypo He\\.  I would be glad to answer what I know that happened to me.

I have heard that its best to get the thyroidectomy, however I was not given that choice.

Please ask away and I will tell you what I know.

Terri
Helpful - 0
523804 tn?1213142358
I just had RAI almost three weeks ago. No Hellish stories yet...feel fine other than taste buds out of wack. I have hyperthryroid and after RAI uptake it was decided this was the best course of treatment. I am glad that I didnt have to go with the med adjustment thing..that sounds slow and unpredictable.
Yell if you need support-Been there
Ilene
Helpful - 0
405406 tn?1247428742
      I had an RAI in Feb. My TSH is on the rise, but slowly.  I have felt fine. No problems, and i feel great.  Have lost some energy lately, but no massive wt gain. Am holding my own so far.  You will need to start an exercise prog. of some kind to keep you active to help with the wt thing I think.  But i have been walking my dog every day for over 2 years and so i get my exercise.
     Do what you think is best for you.  I can only say, I still feel great at this moment.
     God bless
Karen
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.