What is SHBG role in this equation, and if someones is "low"  how is it fixed?   (mine is borderline low but a friend of mine's is very low and I'm just curious how is this fixed)?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
bump
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Here's one source of info.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/shbg/tab/test
Helpful - 0
then why would they of tested my female friend?
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Apparently, you didn't read the whole thing...... females produce testosterone, as well.... our goal is produce much less than men do, because we don't need to be "big strong, bad people" (lol) but we still need it, or you're going to be "without".  

"With men, the issue of concern is testosterone deficiency, while with women the concern is excess testosterone production. A total testosterone may be ordered prior to or along with a SHBG test.

In women, small amounts of testosterone are produced by the ovaries and adrenal glands. Even slight increases in testosterone production can disrupt the balance of hormones and cause symptoms such as lack of menstruation (amenorrhea), infertility, acne, and male pattern hair growth (hirsutism). These symptoms and others are often seen with polycystic ovarian syndrome, a condition characterized by an excess production of androgens. SHBG and testosterone testing may be useful in helping to detect and evaluate excess testosterone production and/or decreased SHBG concentrations."

That would be why your female friend was tested.

Don't even think about comparing a female's levels to your own.
Helpful - 0
thats what you get for just "sending me a link".  Reminds me of someone else on here......  

you tool the time to answer my question and i actually completely understand......  

But the funny part of this is that the doctor that tested her made her think that this was a major part of her issues, when i personally know this is chicken scratch compared to her main problems...   thanks Mrs. Barb!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Shame, shame!!

She has high testosterone, or low?
Helpful - 0
i dont think she has either.  but she has a dr. who likes to test everything.   even if its not related to anything LOL
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
In that case, I'm not sure why the question, if there was nothing out of range.... and if I'd known there wasn't an issue I probably wouldn't have spent my time researching it.
Helpful - 0
I have Very high SHGB and very low testosterone. My dr said much of my testosterone is bound and can not be used. High SHGB is probably from long term use of birth control pills. I am switching birth control pills to the lowest estrogen kind to see if it helps.  I may quit taking them at the end of the year. I'm not sure how SHGB and testosterone effect my thyroid, but wonder if birth control pills have been an issue in balancing out my thyroid.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, birth control pills could affect balancing thyroid.  All of your hormones have to be in balance or your body doesn't work right.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community