Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
What is SHBG role in this equation, and if someones is "low"  how is it fixed?   (mine is borderline low but a friend of mine's is very low and I'm just curious how is this fixed)?
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1139187 tn?1355706647
bump
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Here's one source of info.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/shbg/tab/test
Helpful - 0
1139187 tn?1355706647
then why would they of tested my female friend?
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Apparently, you didn't read the whole thing...... females produce testosterone, as well.... our goal is produce much less than men do, because we don't need to be "big strong, bad people" (lol) but we still need it, or you're going to be "without".  

"With men, the issue of concern is testosterone deficiency, while with women the concern is excess testosterone production. A total testosterone may be ordered prior to or along with a SHBG test.

In women, small amounts of testosterone are produced by the ovaries and adrenal glands. Even slight increases in testosterone production can disrupt the balance of hormones and cause symptoms such as lack of menstruation (amenorrhea), infertility, acne, and male pattern hair growth (hirsutism). These symptoms and others are often seen with polycystic ovarian syndrome, a condition characterized by an excess production of androgens. SHBG and testosterone testing may be useful in helping to detect and evaluate excess testosterone production and/or decreased SHBG concentrations."

That would be why your female friend was tested.

Don't even think about comparing a female's levels to your own.
Helpful - 0
1139187 tn?1355706647
thats what you get for just "sending me a link".  Reminds me of someone else on here......  

you tool the time to answer my question and i actually completely understand......  

But the funny part of this is that the doctor that tested her made her think that this was a major part of her issues, when i personally know this is chicken scratch compared to her main problems...   thanks Mrs. Barb!
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Shame, shame!!

She has high testosterone, or low?
Helpful - 0
1139187 tn?1355706647
i dont think she has either.  but she has a dr. who likes to test everything.   even if its not related to anything LOL
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
In that case, I'm not sure why the question, if there was nothing out of range.... and if I'd known there wasn't an issue I probably wouldn't have spent my time researching it.
Helpful - 0
1202943 tn?1347840652
I have Very high SHGB and very low testosterone. My dr said much of my testosterone is bound and can not be used. High SHGB is probably from long term use of birth control pills. I am switching birth control pills to the lowest estrogen kind to see if it helps.  I may quit taking them at the end of the year. I'm not sure how SHGB and testosterone effect my thyroid, but wonder if birth control pills have been an issue in balancing out my thyroid.
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, birth control pills could affect balancing thyroid.  All of your hormones have to be in balance or your body doesn't work right.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.