Thyroid Disorders Community

Salivary gland problems post RAI

I was treated with 150 Mci of RAI last May. My salivary glands were very swollen for a couple of days after the treatment but then t\he swelling subsided. In AugustI began having pain in my right cheek initially. Over the next few days my glands began to swell up around my ear and under my chin every time I ate anything. Afew  weeks later the same thing began happening on the left side. I basically looked like I had mumps off and on. By now the swelling does appear only occasionally, but I do have pain around those areas still  and as time goes by I find more and more that my mouth is terribly try and I have difficulty chewing and eatiing. I often bite my cheeks because of the dryness.  Now with the cold weather I also noticed that I get pain in my face when I go out in the cold. Can something be done or is this something I must learn to live with?
My youngest sister went through the same thing after her last RAI.  Her salivary glands actually became infected and had to be surgically drained.  Talk to your endo.  There are a lot of things that can lead to dry mouth and you could be showing a symptom of another condition.  It's a common complication of RAI but shouldn't be going on this long.

Here's something I found on line that may help:

Other medical conditions can be causes of dry mouth as well including Alzheimer’s disease, endocrine disorders, stroke, anxiety, depression, and various autoimmune diseases. If dry mouth comes on slowly, it is most likely a result of aging. If it occurs suddenly, mention the condition to your doctor.

http://www.dentaldean.com/dental-care-articles/causes-of-dry-mouth.htm