Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Surgery Concerns

I have mutiple R nodules, the largest is 8cm and an enlarged thyroid on the L without visible nodules. I was diagnosed following an auto accident in Oct 08 and sent for an ultrasound to rule out a hemotoma in my neck. I was told my blood levels were within normal limits, calling PCP tomorrow for my actual numbers since have gained @50lbs in the last 18/24mo. My FNB was negative. I am sch'd for a TT on 2/4 due to difficuIty swallowing with shooting pains to my R jaw & ear. I have found a lot of information via the forums, some good and some rather scary.
I am concerned about damage to my voice! It is unlikely that my local hospital is using nerve mapping and I have a general surgeon. The surgeon mentioned the risk but not that it was a common problem. I am planning to return to work in 8 days and talking is required. I was told I need to f/u with my PCP after sugery for my meds. Shouldn't I start meds while still in the hospital? Can my DO handle my replacment therapy? Is a target of around 1 considered reasonable? Will a number lower than 4/5 help me shed lbs and prevent more weight gain?
2 Responses
From your desription I understood that you have  hematoma [internal bleeding] in thyroid
Was bllod filled cyst aspiration attmpted before decision for surgery?
I was told "The good news is there is no hematoma. The bad news is it is your thyroid and not related to the accident". I asked if fluid was found during the biopsy. No fluid - solid masses. The only possible connection was an increase in localized swelling due to soft tissue injury. The discomfort in my neck drew my attention to the area. Also I was rubbing my neck and that was making it worse.
No other options than surgery or live with it. I am now only able to swallow on the L and get choked if I am not careful. Talking while eating was a bad habit anyway.
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.