MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Synthroid Dosage

Has anyone heard that the dosage is based on your weight?  My numbers are perfect, according to the doctor, however, I am always tired, have reflux problems that the gastro doesn't understand why, I am constantly having hard stools, not gaining or losing weight, and getting very frustrated. I keep thinking I need my dosage raised but no one will listen to me.  Am I thinking the right way or not?  Help!  Need your advise.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Given your symptoms, if your free T3 is low in its range, then yes.  But let's have a look at your test results and ranges and discuss further.
Helpful - 0
Thanks.  My doctor never gives me the numbers but I am up for another reading so I will let you know. So if the numbers are low and my weight is up would you think I should be raised?
Helpful - 0
The effect of a give dosage of thyroid meds. would be affected by your weight; however, the best approach is to use free T3 ( the most important blood test for thyroid) along with symptoms, to determine the proper dosage.  It would be most helpful if you would please post the actual numbers from your blood tests, along with ranges.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community