Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members

Synthroid to Nature-throid

Had my thyroid removed 2001 and was on Synthroid for 11 years.  Felt awful the entire time, was always very tired, gained lots of weight, dry skin and hair, the whole bunch of symptoms so finally I dug my heels in and did not take anything for 3 months.  Very dangerous but was tired of being so confused could not find my way home when I was a block from home.  So the doctor put me on Armour and then I switched doctors and the new one put me on Nature-throid.  I'm still very tired and sleep a lot, my neck hurts where the thyroid was removed 11 years ago, drainage from that area.  Any suggestions for a different med that actually works without exacerbating my symptoms?
3 Responses
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Why don't you start by posting your actual thyroid hormone levels?  You should be getting tested for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH, at regular intervals.  

I don't think the problem is that the medication doesn't work; it sounds like you've simply never been given a therapeutic dose of medication...

If you're, really, still having drainage from the incision where your thyroid was removed, you need to have that checked, as there could be an infection there... that should have been healed within a couple of months following the surgery...
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh dear, I just posted on this and it didn't show up... this happens occasionally... perhaps a short post will "coax" it out, so I won't have to "re-create" my entire post...
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
Ahh, it worked...
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child