TEST RESULT

TSH , 3rd GENERATION 4.59  (0.40-4.50)
GLUCOSE 119
URIC ACID, SERUM  9.3
CHOLESTEROL, SERUM 222
TRIGLYCERIDES, SERUM 223
HDL CHOLESTEROL 40
LDL 137
CHOL/HDL RATIO 5.6
T-3 TOTAL 84    NG/DL (76-181)
T-4, TOTAL 5.4  MCG/DL  (4.5-12.0)

PLEASE ANSWER
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just from those labs I'd guess that you are hypothyroid. If you look at this list of 26 typical hypothyroid symptoms, which, if any [, do you have?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
I agree with gimel that you appear to be hypo.  I also notice that your blood sugar is a bit high.  Was this a fasting blood draw and have you, previously, been diagnosed with diabetes (or pre-diabetes)?

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?  Have you had an ultra sound to check for nodules on your thyroid?
Helpful - 0
Just also wanted to add that your doctor is ordering outdate tests. You should be having the following thyroid tests: TSH, Free T4 and Free T3. The Free's are the actual active thyroid hormone in the body. Totals are only used to see the ratio's of bound and active hormone....not where your true active levels are at. Also, the new TSH normal values are .30-3.0. Your lab is still using old range values. You definately need to look further into your thyroid function.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the response.I was diagnosed 7 years ago, I had De Quervain's thyroitdis. Back then I can a TSH of 0.003 (Norm 0.490-4.670) after a few months the TSH rose up to 4.70. I went to a doctor and he perscribed me Levothroid 50mg tab. I took this medicine for two years, the TSH was 1.85 (0.40-4.50). I stopped taking the medication and I haven't taken it for a year and over this time, I had a TSH 3rd generation 6.2-5.23.
I have high blood pressure, I take Lisinopril for that. The Triglycerides  constantly grows, I now have a bad cholesterol (all 3). The sugar also has been high for quite some time ( I took the test 14 hours after eating).
I have a Over Weight, I tried many diets and after losing weight, the weight still increased. I constantly have low body temperature and a slow pulse. Last year, the Iron levels inscreased
This month I went to an Endocrinologist, he looked at the results and said that I have a healthy thyroid and that I should only diet. I paid 175$ and that's it. I don't know what to do, where I should look for a good Endocrinologist. I live in Denver, Co. Thank you for listening.

Helpful - 0
Thank you for the response.  I took the tests in 9Health Fair and Quest Diagnostics. I don't know where I can do the other tests in Colorado.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the response. I have high blood pressure, I take Lisinopril for that. The Triglycerides constantly grows, I now have a bad cholesterol (all 3). The sugar also has been high for quite some time ( I took the test 14 hours after eating.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
You can get tests for Free T3 and Free T4 at Quest Diagnostics; that's where I get all of my blood work done.  

Even though your Total T3 and T4 are in range, they are very low in their ranges, and since the Frees are only a minute part of the totals, you can figure they will be low, as well.  

Maybe some other members can give the name of a doctor who will treat by symptoms, rather just the lab numbers.  You can "pre-interview" doctors, prior to making an appointment.  This is usually done by talking with a nurse.  Ask if the doctor treats according to symptoms or goes only by lab work, if the doctor tests for Free T3 and Free T4, if the doctor is willing to prescribe medication with a T3 component.   You may think of other questions to ask, but those would be the main ones.

Remember, a doctor doesn't have to be an endocrinologist to be a good thyroid doctor; and not all endocrinologists ARE good thyroid doctors, as many specialize in diabetes.

Helpful - 0
Thank you very much for the advice. I took the test for Free T4 and Free T3 and this is the result:
TSH 2.19 nl /0.4-4.5/
T4 0.9 nl /0.8-1.8/
T3 2.6 nl /2.3-4.2/
What do you think about this, do you think I should take additional testing, do I have Hashimoto? I'm reminding you my previous post.
Thank you very much.
I was diagnosed 7 years ago, I had De Quervain's thyroitdis. Back then I can a TSH of 0.003 (Norm 0.490-4.670) after a few months the TSH rose up to 4.70. I went to a doctor and he perscribed me Levothroid 50mg tab. I took this medicine for two years, the TSH was 1.85 (0.40-4.50). I stopped taking the medication and I haven't taken it for a year and over this time, I had a TSH 3rd generation 6.2-5.23.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
When did you have the Free T3 and Free T4?  Both levels are very low in the ranges and I'm not surprised that you have symptoms, such as the cholesterol and weight issues.  Those are both classic symptoms of being hypo. Are you still on levothroid?  Or any thyroid medication?

I'm sorry you  had to pay that much just for an endo to tell you, you have a healthy thyroid; he's wrong!!  

You should "pre interview" doctors, as I suggested in my response back in Dec. Any doctor not willing to look at symptoms as seriously as labs is going to keep you ill.

One of our members, gimel, has a list of patient recommended doctors around the country.  Not sure if he has one in the Denver area, but we can find out.
Helpful - 0
Yes, I do have a member recommended doctor in the Denver area.  Sending info by PM.
Helpful - 0
I am very thankful for your answer. I will go to the doctor. I received the message from gimel about the doctor. Again, thank you so much.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Thanks gimel........

Best of luck Sophia; stay with us if you like, and we'll be glad to help guide you to get the best treatment.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community