TSH of over 300

Our daughter recently passed away for no obvious reason.  She passed out and never regained consciousness. Testing in the ER indicated she was extremely anemic and her TSH level was right at 300.  Cardiac testing showed no deficiencies in her heart rhythm and CT scans ruled out an embolism.  The doctors had no real diagnosis and charted the cause of death as lack of oxygen to the brain.  A neurologist suggested the TSH level could have caused a heart attack, yet the cardiologist said her heart was healthy.  She hahad taken synthroid medication over the years, she had Hashimoto's thyroid disease, and had recently quit taking her meds because she was in between full time jobs and had no health insurance.  We had no idea she had discontinued her meds.  Do you think the TSH level was responsible for her death?
Sorry to hear about your daughter, my deapest condolences go out to yourself and your family.

There are people who are walking around with a TSH of 300 with symptoms of being severely hypo....

It is very dangerous to discontinue thyroid hormone med's because they are actually replacing the function of the thyroid gland that is either not working correctly due to a thyroid condition or surgically removed due to a thyroid condition. Being hypo can and will cause other health issues that makes it very hard to function normally. The thyroid gland is a very important gland that controls more than the metabolism in the body and when it is not working correctly, other organs in the body can be compromised.

I am on Synthroid due to removal of my thyroid gland and because my tsh level is above normal, i am having issues with other areas...such as my heart. I faithfully take my med, knowing that if i don't....i will suffer consequences.

Google "Myexodemic Coma" and check it with her symptoms.  Lack of thyroid hormone can cause this type of coma and even death.
My deepest condolences go out to you!!!!   My TSH is currently approaching 400 and I have days I can't even really walk or move. My blood pressure is very high, I'm fatigue all the time, can't sleep from body aches, memory loss, weight gain, hair loss, etc
I went to the ER the other night because I was vomiting and have had diarrhea for 2 weeks and my temperature goes crazy the dr looked at me crazy when I told him my concern with my TSH and brushed it off. My dr recently put me out of work and does not want me driving either. Levels like this can cause you to go into a coma. I also had a full thyroidectomy.
Why has your TSH been allowed to get so high?  Are you not taking a replacement thyroid hormone?  If you've had a thyroidectomy, you must have thyroid hormones to replace what your thyroid would have produced.

Are you getting tested for Free T3 and Free T4, as well?
@Barb- This is about a deceased daughter who stopped taking her thyroid meds because of the cost.

@mkwsconcerned mother. My sincere condolences for your loss. I pray for your peace and healing. The loss of a child is unfathomable to me and though the search for the reason why is understandable there may never be a good answer at this point.  An otherwise healthy heart can still be affected by hormonal imbalances that influence the hearts actions, so thyroid related issues can still not be ruled out. But it is also possible something else contributed to her death, perhaps the severe anemia you mentioned (or it's underlying cause) which could certainly cause brain hypoxia.

Again, my sincere hope that you will find eventual peace in your grieving.

I realize that the original post was about a deceased daughter.  This thread is over 4 years old and mkswconcernedmother has not been active on the forum since she posted it.  

My question was for Nikkicalzaretta1, who stated in her post from 11 hours ago that her TSH is approaching 400.  My question is why it has been allowed to get that high and whether she's on thyroid replacement medication.