Thyroid Disorders Community

TSH of over 300

Our daughter recently passed away for no obvious reason.  She passed out and never regained consciousness. Testing in the ER indicated she was extremely anemic and her TSH level was right at 300.  Cardiac testing showed no deficiencies in her heart rhythm and CT scans ruled out an embolism.  The doctors had no real diagnosis and charted the cause of death as lack of oxygen to the brain.  A neurologist suggested the TSH level could have caused a heart attack, yet the cardiologist said her heart was healthy.  She hahad taken synthroid medication over the years, she had Hashimoto's thyroid disease, and had recently quit taking her meds because she was in between full time jobs and had no health insurance.  We had no idea she had discontinued her meds.  Do you think the TSH level was responsible for her death?
Sorry to hear about your daughter, my deapest condolences go out to yourself and your family.

There are people who are walking around with a TSH of 300 with symptoms of being severely hypo....

It is very dangerous to discontinue thyroid hormone med's because they are actually replacing the function of the thyroid gland that is either not working correctly due to a thyroid condition or surgically removed due to a thyroid condition. Being hypo can and will cause other health issues that makes it very hard to function normally. The thyroid gland is a very important gland that controls more than the metabolism in the body and when it is not working correctly, other organs in the body can be compromised.

I am on Synthroid due to removal of my thyroid gland and because my tsh level is above normal, i am having issues with other areas...such as my heart. I faithfully take my med, knowing that if i don't....i will suffer consequences.

Google "Myexodemic Coma" and check it with her symptoms.  Lack of thyroid hormone can cause this type of coma and even death.
My deepest condolences go out to you!!!!   My TSH is currently approaching 400 and I have days I can't even really walk or move. My blood pressure is very high, I'm fatigue all the time, can't sleep from body aches, memory loss, weight gain, hair loss, etc
I went to the ER the other night because I was vomiting and have had diarrhea for 2 weeks and my temperature goes crazy the dr looked at me crazy when I told him my concern with my TSH and brushed it off. My dr recently put me out of work and does not want me driving either. Levels like this can cause you to go into a coma. I also had a full thyroidectomy.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Why has your TSH been allowed to get so high?  Are you not taking a replacement thyroid hormone?  If you've had a thyroidectomy, you must have thyroid hormones to replace what your thyroid would have produced.

Are you getting tested for Free T3 and Free T4, as well?
@Barb- This is about a deceased daughter who stopped taking her thyroid meds because of the cost.

@mkwsconcerned mother. My sincere condolences for your loss. I pray for your peace and healing. The loss of a child is unfathomable to me and though the search for the reason why is understandable there may never be a good answer at this point.  An otherwise healthy heart can still be affected by hormonal imbalances that influence the hearts actions, so thyroid related issues can still not be ruled out. But it is also possible something else contributed to her death, perhaps the severe anemia you mentioned (or it's underlying cause) which could certainly cause brain hypoxia.

Again, my sincere hope that you will find eventual peace in your grieving.

I think that is possible. Oxygen can’t get to cells without thyroid. Also ferritin levels were probably absent which would also cause lack of oxygen. I don’t really understand though. I’ve never had insurance and synthetic was only about $20 a month. Even when on natural thyroid or t3 it was about $80 at the most. Not too expensive to afford if you’re working two jobs.
You've commented on a thread that is 8 years old and none of the previous posters are active on the community at this time.  It's unlikely anyone will respond to your comments.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I realize that the original post was about a deceased daughter.  This thread is over 4 years old and mkswconcernedmother has not been active on the forum since she posted it.  

My question was for Nikkicalzaretta1, who stated in her post from 11 hours ago that her TSH is approaching 400.  My question is why it has been allowed to get that high and whether she's on thyroid replacement medication.
I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your daughter. By what you described, it sounds as if she may have had a “thyroid storm”. Again, I’m so very sorry for your loss.
You've commented on a very old thread and none of the previous posters are active on the forum any longer.  However, for your information, thyroid storm is when one has too much thyroid hormone, which is indicated by low TSH levels.  With a TSH of 300, the indication is severe hypothyroidism or low thyroid hormones. Most likely, the patient had suffered from myxedema coma, caused by lack of thyroid hormones.
Hashimoto's Hypo-Thyroid Encephalopathy.  My 11 year old daughter was misdiagnosed and ten months later wound up in a coma with extreme high TSH caused by this autoimmune disorder "Hashimoto;s Encephalopathy" or HE.  Back in 1998 people had never heard of this and there was little information.  Today much more information is available but most victims have to insist their doctors consider this diagnose.....get TESTED is all I can say.  My daughter wound up in a coma for 9 days and suffered a TBI as a result of this misdiagnosis.
You've commented on a very old thread and has been noted above, previous posters are no longer active on the forum, so it's unlikely they will respond to your comments.

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. Although there is more known about HE now, I think there is still too little known about it.  It's my belief that not enough research goes into thyroid related conditions and/or the adverse and possibly long-lasting effect(s) a malfunctioning thyroid can have on the body.

"The exact cause of Hashimoto's encephalitis (HE) is unknown, but is thought to relate to autoimmune or other autoinflammatory processes. While it is associated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the exact nature of the relationship between the two conditions is unclear. It does not appear to be directly related to hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.[1]"  
https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/8570/hashimotos-encephalitis
No doubt it was. That is dangerously high, and it’s strange they were not more certain about it. I’m wondering if they are afraid of lawsuits so they go for the simple reason in case it’s wrong. I am not a doctor , but I remember when I first was diagnosed hypothyroid, I was over 200, and the Doctor said I was close to a Coma. ( but I was also having severe symptoms , falling asleep sitting up, leg swelling, bloating, mood swings, this is why I was tested) How long was your daughter off meds?
As noted above, you've commented on a very old thread and none of the previous are active in the community at this time.  

The TSH level doesn't determine how close to coma one may be.  Myxedema coma is caused by severe hypothyroidism.  Although some doctors do use the TSH level to determine whether one is hypothyroid or not, it's the levels of actual thyroid hormones, T4 and T3, that determine the degree of hypothyroidism.  TSH is merely a "messenger" from the pituitary gland.
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I was recently hospitalized because of my thyroid levels reaching 225. I was losing sight, cognitive function, speech and mobility. I had no idea I had thyroid issues until the doctor ran my blood. He said I was on the verge of seizure and coma and that I most likely would have died without going into the ER. My experience is that thyroid can certainly be a cause of death. I had no idea.
So very sorry to read your story. I can't imagine the loss and grief. I have a daughter who is Hashimoto's as well as Addisons. The Addisons is what send her to the ER. A crisis is when an Addisons person is lacking sodium and cortisol and as  result can lapse into coma and then cardiac arrest very quickly. Did they medical team ever determine if she had Addisons? My heart goes out to you and your family.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
If you ever know of anyone in this situation again, here is what I would tell them.  Generic is real cheap at Wal-Mart.  That said, generic only has to have 80% of the medication, so is not reliable.  The name brand Synthroid  is expensive, but you can currently get a coupon for it, if you have insurance, for $25 a month, online.  There are other programs for those without insurance.  Please tell anyone like this that it is like a diabetic not taking their insulin shot - or taking their shot and not eating.

I am so sorry for your loss.
It is not the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) that is the key here -- that's just a red flag which tells you that you need further lab tests. The TSH is a red flag that thyroid hormone is not getting into the cells. When TSH is high, you need to measure thyroid hormone:  FT4 and Ft3 to see where the deficiency is.  
But if the Ft4 and Ft3 are high or normal - then she could have a TSH-secreting tumor on the pituitary that then causes too much TSH and in turn, too much FT4 and FT3.
Either scenario can eventually lead to death.
FT4 and FT3 need to be balanced toward the middle of the reference range and kept there.
I’m so sorry you lost your daughter. I hope you are able to find answers. It never occurred to me, until reading about your daughter that now that we have the Internet, people who can’t afford medications should try to post it on Facebook and other venues, maybe even start Go Fund Me’s for this. God bless you parents.