TSH w reflex to ft4 = 0.02 What does it mean?
I went to the doctor because I've been having headaches behind my eyes and in my sinus area.  I'm tired much more than I used to be, my fingernails have become paper thin, and I feel like I'm having a harder time focusing. My eyes get so dry at night that I have to wake up and put drops in them.I don't have an appetite, but I gain weight easily. (I am female, late 40's, 5'5", 110 lbs) I exercise vigorously most mornings.

He did this blood test: TSH 2 reflex to ft4 - the result was 0.02.
He is on vacation, but the nurse called to ask if I have heart palpitations, or excessive sweating.  I don't.  
She said I have an overactive thyroid, and requested blood tests to confirm it.  They also came back consistent with a hyperthyroid result, but I don't know what tests they did.  It confused me because I don't lose weight easily and I don't have a big appetite - I thought those were the main symptoms.
She said they will monitor it and have me tested in another 2 weeks to see if they number stays the same.

I'm curious to know what might be going on, because the doc won't be back for another week.  The headaches linger and often I have clear blurry spots in my vision when they begin.  It's starting to worry me a little.

I appreciate any feedback about that TSH test result.
Thanks.
That's a good increase schedule...you don't want to move too fast.  Believe me, hypo is better than hyper (overmedicated)!

It takes T4 meds 4-6 weeks to reach their potential in your blood.  So, for the first couple of weeks or so, we often feel worse since blood levels are still low.  Also, other systems (often the adrenals) have taken over and attempted to make up for thyroid deficiency, so the whole body has to rebalance.  It seems like its the meds doing it, but it isn't.  You might try magnesium for the digestion (constipation?).  Magnesium is water soluble, so what your body doesn't used gets flushed out.  It helps many with the gut issues.

Let me know how it goes...
Yes, constipation.  It's crazy the difference between being hyper and hypo.  In hindsight, I think this has probably been going on for a few years, cycling on and off at times.  No improvement in symptoms at all.  Hopefully over the next few weeks.
I am exhausted by 3 everyday. Can I do anything to combat it? It's draining and it's getting worse.
You've only been on meds since the 4th, is that correct?  So, I'm assuming you're still breaking a 75 in half and taking 37.5, and you've only been on meds for a little over a week.

There's not a lot you can do (except take a nap).  It just takes meds a while to build in your blood.  Are you generally healthy?  Tolerating the meds well so far?  If so, you might ask your doctor if you can speed up the increase schedule a bit.  However, be aware that increasing faster can give you hyper symptoms.  In my personal experience, I'd rather avoid the hyper symptoms and take the nap!  LOL

When I was hypo, I wasn't fatigued (I had energy) as much as I was almost narcoleptic.  As long as I kept moving, I was okay, but when I sat down at my computer or rode in the car, I couldn't stay awake.  It will turn around.  Time and patience...  
Thanks.  Yes, I am generally very healthy.  And, I am still breaking the 75 in half.  I haven't noticed any difference at all, as if the medicine is having no impact on anything.  The endo told me to take the entire 75 for now.  I guess I'll see if that helps. Now that I've experienced both hyper and hypo, for me, the hyper was easier to deal with.  So, maybe my hyper wasn't significant.  I do like that with hypo my eyes are back to normal and I don't get the headaches, though.  I can sleep better at night, which is good because I'm exhausted during the day!
Don't be discouraged because you haven't seen a difference in a week.  It takes longer than that for meds to kick in.  It's really not unusual at all for people to feel slightly worse for a while.  Upping your dose to 75 ought to help.  Hope you start feeling better soon...  
.hello... I havent been dx with thyroids as such. But I had a blood test which the lab said evidence of hyperthyroidism retest in 3 months. I had a retest and lab then said borderline hyperthyroidism refer to endo. I had my blood taken again prior to seein endo and apparently they normalised so endo said I will never have thyroid troubles , the previous were possibly due to inflammation that cleared up and sent me packing. However I think I actually have signs of Hypo, unable to lose weight, I do have B12 deficiency and Vit D and Ferritin deficiencys so find it hard to separate symptoms. I am under the impression Thyroids can go hand in hand with these other autoimmunes .
my results were
TSH.= 0.04 lab range (0.4-4.0)
T4 = 22.0 lab range (9-25)
T3= 5.9 lab range (2.8-7.5)
the retest was
TSH = 0.02 lab range (0.4-4.0)
T4 = 23.1 lab range (9-25)
T3= 6.4 lab range (2.8-7.5)
then endo test =
TSH = 1.62
T4 =13.6
T3 =4.6
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody = 21.3 lab range 0-50
My question really is was the endo correct and I wont get Thyroids .?
thank u
sorry I think I hijacked your post. my 1st time here so please 4give me x
I'm a little confused;  were those results on meds or not?  Last I recall, you were taking levothyroxine...

B-12, D and ferritin deficiencies can all have symptoms that mimic hypothyroidism.  In addition, D and ferritin are necessary for the proper metabolism of thyroid hormones.  

Your latest labs, before you went to the endo, certainly don't look hyper anymore.    
I'm so sorry about my post above.  I just realized how totally confused I was!  I thought that was posted by tgstock. Except for the first paragraph, though, the rest of my post applies to you.

If you were hyper due to inflammation, be aware that "temporary" thyroiditis often starts with an initial hyper phase and is followed by a temporaty hypo phase.  However, this hypo phase can be quite long.  Your TPO antibodies are negative for Hashi's, so it looks like you don't have autoimmune thyroid disease.  If you start to feel hypo, see your endo again.  If necessary, and you do go into a hypo phase, he can give you meds to make you feel better through it.  
Thank you very much for your response. im sorry i unintentionally hijacked the post. I will watch my sympyoms. x
HI Goolarra,
I have more bloodwork results, and I'm interested in your thoughts.  I go to the endo again on Friday.  He had me start taking 75mcg of Synthroid of Synthroid since 10/12.

Here is my latest bloodwork - 11/8/12:
TSH 1.37 (range .4 - 4.5)
T4, free 1.0 (range 0.8-1.8)

Here is a history:
      7/18/12   7/31/12   8/29/12   9/25/12   11/8/12 (Synthroid 75 for 3.5 wks)
TSH  0.02      0.01       0.03         1.8          1.37*
T4,Fr 1.7        1.5          1.1         0.8          1.0*

Well, you're definitely moving in the right direction.  FT4 is back up a little, TSH is down a little.  How are you feeling?  Do you still have hypo symptoms?
No, I'm feeling better.  Some trouble sleeping, even though I am tired.  But overall, much better.  Does that mean I'm on the right dose?  You asked about glucose tests - never had that done.  Next appt is Friday.  Should I still ask for the TPOab and TGab?
Thanks.
Your FT4 is still a little low in the range; many of us find it has to be around 50% of range.  However, that really depends on how you feel.  If you feel good and don't have any lingering symptoms, then I wouldn't do a thing.  Of course, we don't have an FT3, but once again, how you feel is the most important.  There is plantly of room in your labs for a little increase if anything still bothers you.

Please refresh my memory and save me from having to read through what has become a long thread...have you had TPOab and TGab tested before?  Sorry, i also don't remember why glucose was an issue???
Hi Goolarra,

I have thyroiditis.  I've been taking Synthroid.  Yesterday, I started to feel flushed.  I was quickly exhausted and went to sleep.  This happened twice, really uncomfortable flushing causing me to feel faint.

I didn't take any Synthroid today.  I'm on an 88 dose.  I go back to doc in January.
Bloodwork history below:

Here is a history:
Your FT4 is still on the low side.  Flushing isn't usually a symptom of hypo.  Do you have and blood pressure issues?    Could menopause be a factor?
Thanks.  Maybe menopause is a factor.  I'm 47.  I have very low blood pressure.  I quit taking the meds for 2 days just to see if it would help.  Also, had blood drawn yesterday.  Doc said that we no longer test T3.  
It's likely peri-menopause is a factor at the very least.  I started noticing changes a good ten years before the actual event (or non-event).    

Your latest FT4 was quite low.  Drop in BP is a symptom of hypo, so if yours tends to run low anyway, that might be what's making you feel faint.  

Ugh...no longer test T3?  Things do not get better...

Post your new results when you get them.  Merry Christmas!
Got my latest results:
TSH range: 0.4-4.5
T4, free (0.8 - 1.8)
T3, free  
7/18/12   7/31/12   8/29/12   9/25/12   11/8/12            1/16/13 (note below)
TSH  0.02      0.01       0.03         1.8          1.37*     1.42
T4,Fr 1.7        1.5          1.1         0.8          1.0*       1.2**
*Synthroid 75 for 3.5 wks
**The 1/16 T4  note: the current lot of free T4 reagent available produces results that are approx 9% higher than previous reagent lots.
1/6/13 NOTE: I quit taking Synthroid on 12/23 - thought I was feeling too hypo.  My doc appt was supposed to be last week, but I had to cancel and they can't reschedule till April.

Your thoughts, please?
I meant to say in my previous note that I was feeling 'hyPER', so I quit taking the 88 synthroid that I had been on for a month.  Still haven't had any - so these 1/16 test results are without the synthroid.  The lab noted that the current lot of free T4 reagent produce results that are 9% higher than previous lots.
You stopped taking Synthroid on 12/23, so most, but probably not all, of it was out of your system 3.5 weeks later when you had your labs on 1/16.  I've seen that note about the current lot of the reagent on other people's labs...yet another element to add confusion...ugh.

Anyway, your FT4 has gone up (even considering the 9%, it's gone up a little) to 1.2 despite discontinuing meds.  Of course, we have no idea how high it had been just before you discontinued, which is some 6 weeks since the 11/8 labs.  It most likely spiked in between and then dropped again.

How are you feeling now, and how have you been feeling since discontinuing?  Did it take long to stop feeling hyper?  Have you had hypo symptoms return at all?

Hi. I just got the results from a 12/24 test. That will give you a better picture.  

TSH was 0.15. T4 was 1.5. That was right after I quit taking Synthroid.

Now, a month later, I'm starting to feel exhausted again and I've lost my appetite. So confused. Lost weight but I haven't been eating muc so it's not a surprise. Any problems with stopping and starting Synthroid?
Thank you.
So, it had spiked up before you stopped taking it and has since gone down.

It is really good that you had labs right when you discontinued.  Now, we know that FT4 of 1.5 is a little too high for you, and 1.2 is a little low (this may have dropped a little further since the draw), and 75 mcg is a little too much.  I suspect that you should probably have cut back a little rather than stopping altogether.

The only real problem with starting and stopping Synthroid is the time it takes to build in your system.  If you start taking it again (I'd recommend you ask your doctor about a slightly lower dosage), it's going to take 4-6 weeks to build before you know how you feel and you can repeat labs to reflect the full impact of the change.  

The last time I was hyper (overmedicated), my endo advised me to discontinue meds for three days, then resume at a lower dosage.  Ask your doctor about that.  It worked really well for me.  Most of the hyper symptoms went away during the three-day hiatus, although they continued at a much more tolerable level for a couple of weeks after.  
I've been breaking my 88 Synthroid in half - getting roughly 44/day depending on how precisely the pill broke.  
Last TSH (2/20)was 1.7
(3 weeks of breaking in half)
TSH range: 0.4-4.5
T4, free (0.8 - 1.8)
T3, free  
*Synthroid 75 for 3.5 wks
1/6/13 NOTE: I quit taking Synthroid on 12/23 - thought I was feeling too hypo.  
2/20/13: Note - taking 44 per day for 3 weeks.

I'm so confused, and the doc can't see me till April.
Am i missing it, or are your 2/20/13 labs not there?
On 2/20, all that was tested was TSH. It was 1.7. They did a whole panel of tests because I've had no appetite. Since it was my reg doc who ordered them, I guess he forgot T4. My appetite has returned. I think it was stress. tSH is on the rise again.
Sorry.
TSH on 2/20 was 1.7
T4 was not tested.  Family doc ordered CBC.  I had lost my appetite, and was really weak.  I think it was stress.  It seems to be returning now.
Still taking half of the 88 Synthroid.  Still fatigued, but feeling better than when I quit taking it.  This is very confusing.
Ah, sorry, I saw the TSH of 1.7, but I thought at least FT4 would have been tested.  Unfortunately, that doesn't give us a lot to go on.  

Perhaps your thyroid is recovering, but you're not yet at the point where it's totally recovered.  It's so hard to say with just TSH available.

Do you think you could request a retest with FT4 added in?  Looking at your labs, FT4 just doesn't track TSH.  On 8/29, with FT4 of 1.1, your TSH is 0.03.  Yet on both 1/16, with FT4 hardly different (when factoring in the reagent change), your TSH is 1.42.  So, TSH is pretty useless.

Perhaps you'd feel better with a very slight increase.  You could ask your doctor about going to 50 mcg.  I think you really have to medicate on symptoms.  Try 50, retest, then perhaps go to 62.5 if 50 isn't enough???    
The test results came in the mail today. I noticed it was a TSH w reflex to FT4. Is that different than TSH? The value was still 1.7. Yes. I will ask for follow up testing. Taking the 44 by breaking 88 in half is not very precise. I really need to take the right pill in order to sort out the correct dose. I'm going to follow up as you suggest.
Thank you
TSH w/ reflex to FT4 is an instruction to the lab.  It means "test TSH, and if it's not in reference range, test FT4 as well".  Since your TSH was in range, they didn't test FT4.  The TSH test is the same, whether with reflex or not.

Splitting pills is an acceptable practice.  T4 is so slow acting, that a little more one day and a little less the next doesn't change anything drastically.  I've split lots of pills when I am increasing.  What I do is just make sure to take both halves of the same pill on consecutive days.  Any variation in dosage in each half will be flattened out that way.
Hi Goolarra,

Thank you for your help.  Latest is TSH 1.34 (range 0.4 - 4.5)
T4, Free 1.3 (range 08 - 1.8)

I've been taking 50mcg Synthroid.  Starting to get very tired again.

History:
TSH range: 0.4-4.5
T4, free (0.8 - 1.8)
T3, free  
*Synthroid 75 for 3.5 wks
Well, your FT4 is right on the money...it's exactly midrange.

Were those top labs from 2/20/13?  You were on 44 at the time and increased to 50 afterwards?

If you're feeling tired, you really have to take a look at FT3.  With FT4 so picture perfect, the answer almost has to be in your FT3 (if it's thyroid related).

I'm sure I must have asked before, but do you know your vitamin D, B-12 and iron/ferritin levels?
Thank you.  I don't know the vitamin levels.  I'm switching back to my reg doc.  The endo said the 44 was too low for me.   The top labs were from 4/23/13 - earlier this week.  I feel much better, just getting tired and lost my apetite again.  Could be allergies.  Endo thinks I blame anything on thyroid, even things that aren't related.  I am going to ask my fam doc for help.  He will test T3 if I ask.  I'll also ask him to do those vitamin levels.  I'm glad you are weighing in on my latest test levels.  I think that means that the 50mcg might be a good does.  
The endo diagnosed me with sub-acute thyroiditis.   Don't know if he's right, but it's been going on for almost a year now.  I think I'll be stuck taking Synthroid forever now.
Be sure he tests FREE T3.  There's a total T3 test as well, and you don't want that one.

In terms of FT4, 50 mcg looks really good for you.

Before I was diagnosed with Hashi's, my "theory" was that I had DeQuervain's thyroidititis, which, like sub-acute, is "temporary".  My endo said that, although usually temporary (they can become permanent), they can last a couple of years.  I tested positive for both TPOab and TGab, however, so Hashi's it is!

Anyway, do get your FT3 level checked just to make sure it's adequate.  Keep in mind that many people find FT3 has to be in the top half to top third of the range.  
I'm 60 years female and my last test tshw/reflex free t4 was 0.51 what this mind
That's a "normal" TSH.  However, are you having symptoms?  If you are, then further testing would be in order.  TSH is often very unreliable.
I just received test results and I'm confused as well.
TSH w/reflex to FT4 was 7.31  - reference range 0.40-4.50 and T4 Free is 0.8 with  range of 0.8-1.8
No T3 test ran that I can see
Was retested today to double check because my doc was concerned. What does the result mean? Hypothyroid?
Yes, hypothyroid.  Your TSH is high, and as you can see your FT4, which is much more important, is on the bottom of the range.  Many of us find that FT4 has to be about the middle (1.3 on your range) of the range for us to feel well.

Do you have hypo symptoms?

Next time you have labs, insist of FT3 being included and start keeping copies of your lab reports so you have your own history.
Years of hypo I was seeing a endo for years but I couldn't get him to help my symptoms. I am now seeing a internalist. I am confused with my TSH results. They are low but my Free T4 are ok now?
Thanks for your opinion, LorryK
See test results below:
Currently I take 88mcg levothyroxine
As of 10/27/15 I began 25mcg liothyronine
Bupropion Hal ear (do) 150mg TB24 (1 daily) depression

Date.       TSH    Free T4
12/11/15    .010      0.8  
10/27/51    .010      0.9  88mcg levothyroxine and liothyronine
09/04/15    .032      1.3  150mcg
11/15/14    .037      1.4  here I was taking 150mcg
10/06/14  9.106      I was for years taking 125mcg  
Sorry about the auto text.
levothyroxine 88mcg
Liothyronine 25mcg
What's the reference range on your FT4?  Ranges vary lab to lab, so you have to post them with results so we can see where in the range you are.  

Please also post FT3 results and ranges.

How are you feeling now?
Thanks for your opinion, LorryK
See test results below:
Currently I take 88mcg levothyroxine

Date.       TSH    Free T4
12/11/15    .010      0.8  
09/04/15    .032      1.3  150mcg
Reference ("normal") ranges vary lab to lab, so they have to come from your own lab report.  Your results are posted above, but I need the range to see where in it you fall.  The range should be somewhere near the result on the report.  It's often in parentheses and should be something close to (0.8-1.8).

No FT3?
I am a hypothyroid patient. this time my reading has come
TSH - 0.03
FT3 - 6.3
FT4 - 2.18

can you suggest how much mcg i should take.  i am taking 100 mcg from years now.

nickie
My TSH is 0.01 and T4 2.16 plz tell me hypothyroidism ? Hyperthyroidism?
What is the reference range for the T4 result?   What symptoms do you have?
Hi. Kindly check my TSH check and tell me what can you say about this. I do suffer hypo and hyperthyroidism symptoms; and im really worried. Thank you.

Sensitive TSH : 0.913 ref range: .27-4.2
FT4: 12.86 ref range: 12-22
FT3: 2.18 ref range: 3.1-6.8
Your Free T4 is way too low in the range.  It should be at least mid-range.  Even more importantly your Free T3 is terribly low.   For most people it is better for Free T3 to be in the upper half of its range, and then adjusted as needed to relieve symptoms.  Having a TSH that is relatively low in the range, along with low FT4 and FT3 points to you having central hypothyroidism.  With central hypothyroidism there is a dysfunction in the hypothalamus/pituitary system that results in TSH output that does not adequately stimulate the thyroid gland to produce hormone.  

Many doctors overlook central hypothyroidism due to their over-reliance on TSH as the diagnostic for thyroid status.  A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypothyroid patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to relieve symptoms, without being influenced by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.

There is no need to be worried, you just need to get your doctor to recognize that you have central hypothyroidism, and treat clinically as described, or you will need to find another doctor that will do so.  You can confirm what I have said by reading at least the first two pages of the following link.  I also suggest reading further if you want to get into the discussion and scientific evidence for what is suggested on page 2.  

http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/TUK_PDFs/diagnosis_and_treatment_of_hypothyroidism_issue_1.pdf

Note on page 2 also that there are some other tests that should be done for you.  In addition to FT4 and FT3 that should be tested every time you go for tests, you need to test for  Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin and then supplement as needed to optimize.  D should be at least 50, B12 should be in the upper end of the range, and ferritin should be at least 70.  In view of your type of hypothyroidism, it would also be a good idea to test for cortisol level.  
I know this is an old post but I hope you have stopped taking that Thyroid medication!  There is nothing wrong with your thyroid!  You have nutritional deficiencies that need to be addressed.  Get a nutritional panel.  If your doctor won't order one, get one yourself through Life Extension. All your nutritional deficiencies cause hypothyroid symptoms as do starvation and anemia because your thyroid has to work extra hard.  If you deprive your body of essential nutrients, you can gain weight too.  Address the deficiencies first and then if you are still having symptoms, run more labs. Biggest culprits off the top of my head are Vitamin D, Magnesium, B12, Iron...I may not have explained this properly because i am not a doctor but I cannot stress enough how important it is to get a nutritional panel.  Nutritional deficiencies cause disease!  That has been know for years.  Get it checked out before you develop any disease.  Treat the cause, not the symptoms.