Thyroid Disorders Community

Taking Thyroid meds along with Calcium or Iron

The instructions that came with my Thyroid medication say not to take your meds with Calcium or iron. I did some research online I found out that iron blocks the body's ability to absorb some of the hormone replacement. Calcium will neutralize some of the medication as well.  So that ice cold glass of milk or that steak dinner with salad is detrimental to the amount of thyroid hormone in your bloodstream.  Yes, this can affect your mood and energy level daily. Take it on an empty stomach 3 hours before or 3 hours after eating.  I also found out that Cabbage, cauliflower, Soy, and broccoli can all depress the thyroid, so eat in moderation.  I welcome any more information that you might have.
In Australia our medication says not to take anything for at least one hour. I for one would never survive if I never took any iron or calcium....even before I had my thyroid out! I take the the other iron and clacium supplements well away from each other and the thryoid meds. The iron and calcium also interfere with each other if taken together.
  Taking any thyroid medication with anything, food, other medications or anything other than a plain glass of water can be detrimental. The thyroxine unfortunately binds with the food etc and is passed straight out of the body.
  So yes, your research has been right on the ball. Many thyroid patients sadly are not always aware of this...and indeed when I had my thyroid out was given it with my breakfast and a handful of calcium tablets. No wonder my first levels were so poor! Just shows you that even the medical profession has no idea!
Cheers!