Thyroid Disorders Community

The Problem with Doctors

I think they are just as confused as we are but most are too arrogant too admit it or too ignorant to realize it. In researching hypothyroidism, I have read some of the medical research. No sooner does one study reach a certain conclusion than another comes out to disprove it. That's because there is a lot of money in medical research, and it is often funded by the pharmaceutical companies that are pushing their drugs over another. If the makers of levothyroxine do not like the findings of one study that supports Armour or Cytomel, they fund another to disprove the benefits that the other study proved, and it goes on and on as long as someone out there is offering funding. This is tragic for so many animals that are used in medical research, as well as us.

Doctors develop most of their opinions in medical school, and whatever the prevailing wind may be at the time. As my own endo recently pointed out to me, there are other endos out their trained at different institutions that have differing opinions. Later, when they get busy making the big bucks, they have little time to read the latest studies, and even if they do, there are conflicting studies on the same subject. So really, is there any wonder WE are confused? When you come right down to it all we can really judge from is how we are feeling, and all we can do is find a doctor who will treat accordingly. Almost everything else is open to debate, evidently. Medicine is NOT an exact science, and that science is all too often corrupted by money.
Medicine is not an exact science...that's y drs r practicing.....and I agree they will not admit when thet do not know.....they all move at a snails pace.....that's y we r call patients!

just my thoughts
"selma"
Preaching to the choir, but we'll hum in the background while you do it. LOL!!

Seriously, I think you have found a topic we can all agree on.

The biggest problem is, if we get rid of them, who's gonna write my scrips??
I'm sorry you're feeling so confused.

"In researching hypothyroidism, I have read some of the medical research.”

May I ask?  Where is it that you did/read your research?

~

Honestly, I don’t think my doctor is confused and I don’t think I am either.
LOL AR and selma and I agree with you all, including Thy!  I don't think I am confused.... well, maybe I am.  I still don't know what's wrong with me and don't have an answer for my ailing neck, but --- I guess I'll eventually find it and the only person that will finally give me one is a doctor.  Oh well - I guess I am confused.  We shall see if the doctor is confused (mine that is) on Monday.
LOL!

I might not be crazy about the dr, might not like what he/she has to tell me, might not like the thing that's ailing me and might not like where or the way things need to go, but there's nothing confusing...

Good luck to you on Monday.

~

My dr uses the phrase 'lastest studies' more than anyone I've ever known.  Wow, he must be an even bigger super-hero than I had thought - he makes big bucks (huge in fact) and yet, apparently, still and has time to read.
You are too funny Thy!  
Mostly their problem is that they don't know their ROLE...like lawyers, or your financial planner, they are ADVISERS.  There's no room for ego.

Since the choir is listening, try reading Melody Petersen's "Our Daily Meds".  It'll curl your hair (you should see mine!).  Doctors in bed with pharmaceutical companies, the government...an absolute mess.
Ouch goolarra - I am in the legal profession and my husband is an FA.  Ouch is all I can say - I'd have to say that a doc has GOT to be a little more than adviser, as would an attorney or and FA -- since all were trained in their profession and know a LOT more than the average person  -- its just in how they USE the knowledge.  Everyone must remember that docs are people too and there is a lot of room for error, I've had 5 docs in the last 8 months just working on my thyroid - trial and error, but more than an adviser.
In all fairness, I have to say, doctors are people too, and they are also easy targets.

My GP IS an excellent doctor, and keeps up with current trends as best he can, for a GP. I mean, that's a lot of different areas to keep abreast of. He researched my condition and can discuss it better with me than my Endo can.

I trust him implicitly and look to him for advice.

Some of the specialists I have seen have been good. Some of them have been not good.

I don't see a lot of confusion in the thyroid field. I see differing treatments and philosophies, some a little dated, some current and evolving, some stuck in time somewhere in the 80's, some charlatans preying on people.

The studies I have been reading involve rethinking test limits and averages, and refined definitions of a healthy TSH.

I haven't seen any studies compairing drug efficacy between brands or types, although I suppose they are out there. I wouldn't pay much attention to those types of studies anyway.

I suppose some doctors do, and some doctors don't.

The biggest problem with doctors is there are a limited number of excellent ones, and all the doctors are overworked.
I'm in the investment advisory field also, so I meant no offense.  Doctors DO know a lot more than the average person in the broad spectrum of medicine, as we know a lot more than the average person on investment/legal issues, etc  However, given the vast amount of information out there today on the internet, etc. (and of course you do have to consider your sources), if you are a reasonably intelligent person, with good research skills, you can very quickly come up to your doctor's speed on your unique problem.  In fact, you can be way beyond your doctor, lawyer, FA, in no time.  I know doctors are people, but they have to start listening to their patients, give them credit for some intelligence.  I have no trouble givng them room for error, but not if they think they're god almighty.  I personally cannot relinquish that much control to them.  There's no way they can possibly have read as much as I have about my particular situation., unless they have some arcane interest in the subject.  Also, all advisers are to some extent driven by interests (their own) that are not necessarily in the client/patient's best interest.  For example, stock brokers would be SOL if they advised their clients to get out of the market.  Doctors are driven by this, too.

I'm sorry, but I stick by my comments. Your doctor is not there to TELL you what to do.  S/he is there to communicate his/her knowledge and to inform you of all your options, to make recommendations, then to let you decide what's best for you.  His or her ego shouldn't be in the way.  I listen to them, and I fully expect them to extend the same courtesy to me.  However, they seldom have the time, unless I'm throwing several hundred dollars per hour at them.

I give them credit for their education, but just look at what you're saying.  Of the thousands (millions?) of possible diseases/conditions out there, how up-to-date do you think they really are on what's going on NOW in each one, in yours.  In our modern world, it's impossible to keep up (more so in medicine than law or finance), and to pretend you can is to do a tremendous disservice to your patients.  
I agree, drs have to trust their patients and how they feel, just as much as we have to trust them!

Unfortunatly- we can feel like we;ve been thrown under the bus.

I have a dx- no treatment.
I call the drs office - no return calls.
I tried finding a new dr-not accepting new patients at this time.

in the meantime- here I sit wondering what I can or should do- and I feel like ****!

so drs can leave their patients confused, with a need to do their own research.....however, not everything on the web is fact.

I can appreciate that it is hard to keep up with all the new methods of treatment , even dx........or have time to listen to everyone's issues no matter how big or little.......but then send me to someone who has time to listen if u don't!

I need Dr House!!!
I totally agree. Doctors are not Gods and they don't have all the answers. But the majority of them PRETEND to. That's the only problem I have with them. I would not mind if one were to say to me, "I don't know. Let me study it and I'll get back to you." No, instead, they hand you a prescription for Prozac, or something similiar just to get you out of their office.

I really liked my GP, and I am grateful that the first thing he thought of when I came to him with my symptoms was thyroid. I have learned through this board that many of you have not been that lucky. But when I hit a bump in the road, and he could not figure it out, he treated me like it was all in my head, and it was very humiliating. I even began to doubt myself. I have since learned that you can still have hypo symptoms with TSH in their arbitrary "normal" range, especially with Hashimoto's.

I was on a medical journal website where they publish the research papers searching for the latest study about adding T3 to T4 treatment so that I could show my endo. Well, I found the study that concluded that it does benefit some patients, and I was happy with that. However, I decided to see if there were any more studies similar to that and found many, some which contradict, and some that concur. And just about anything you want to prove can be disproved by someone else.

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh, but I think it is basically true. Not all, of course but a good many. I guess I am feeling very angry with my current endo, and preparing myself for a confrontation with her. It's not easy for a high school drop out to contradict someone with all those years of education.

When you ask them for certain labs, and they refuse you, what is the reason for it? They act like the money is coming out of THEIR pockets for it. They don't like you tell them what you think you NEED.  One of main reasons my endo objected to adding Cytomel to my treatment is that it very short acting and needs to be taken twice a day. But then when she finally relents and prescribes it, she has me taking it only once a day, and then refuses to do the labs to monitor it. GO FIGURE!
can ne one tell me y I was told I have Hashimoto's with normal labs...and not given ne meds?

my throat is really bothering me today .....I just want to cry.

I feel abandoned by the drs.......the second US said the nodules were slightly larger, however the dr mailed the results....never had a convo with me, and never asked how I was feeling......is this normal treatment or am I lucky here?

again, I feel really bad tonight , so I might sound a bit testy.sorry

I just need some answers.
Well, I am still mostly confused myself so take what I say with a grain of salt, as others with more knowledge will respond.  

Apparently there are some who believe that you should be treated with a normal TSH when you have Hashimoto's to prevent thyroid problems, but I think the norm is to not treat it. You should make an appointment with the doctor to talk about it.

Is it hurting below the adam's apple (if we women had adam's apples that is)? I had one doctor tell me the thyroid doesn't have any pain sensors, but at times when I went hyper, it sure heck felt like it did.
I have a constant sore throat, with a thick feeling which makes swallowing difficult at times......I do no like ne thing up around my neck....like a turtleneck ect........it pain goes up into my jaw....I also get the stabbing ear pain...constant buzzing in the ears....

.how often do they do labs when u have nodules?

and aren't haveing the symptoms a reason to start treatment?

I called the dr, and the nurse called and said the results would be mailed......
Two thoughts come to mind:

1) Wisdom is the application of knowledge.

2) Seriously some doctors are like:

A blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that is not even there.
Actually, I want to address a couple of things being touched on above, in the course of giving person view and opinions - because they seem to be coming across as hard facts for everyone and I’m not sure they’re entirely accurate for everyone:

For one thing, my endo and the majority of what reading I've come across say that levothyroxine is better treatment than natural thyroid medication.  I’ve never seen support in the opposite direction coming from legitimate sources.

Also, that adding T3 to T4 therapy is not necessary unless there is a problem in just using T4.  That uncommon problem is the body’s inability to convert one to the other and is tested and diagnosed through labs (not in how someone thinks/feels/or has had someone else selling something talk them into how they should be doing).  More importantly, I recall reading that using both when it’s not called for can be dangerous.

~

I’m by no means a huge disciple of drs., but just to give another perspective…if my drs went with how I said I was feeling and trusted that – I’d probably be dealing with an even worse situation than the one I’ve already experienced.
It seems a lot of people (and for the most part me as well) has been put off in some way or other by a doctor. As I have said, I am on Dr. #5 and that is JUST FOR MY THYROID.  That does not include the GYN and the surgeon I have been attached to lately for the breast thing and the tubal/staph infection.  Its really simple for me..... have a doc, he's not listening, get a new one.  I don't have time or energy to waste on a doctor who is consumed with all the wrong things.  Its happened to me to.  What I am saying is that, for me, I have learned to get out before they think they are God Almighty. It has done me well as I am in a better position now, I have a doctor who listens and treats, even if he is not sure what is really at the heart of the problem. I do however, firmly believe that they all possess the knowledge to help, they just have different views on how the help should come.  I have learned that here and its helped tremendously.  I get frustrated, sure, just look at my posts, but at the end of the day, whatever help that will come for whatever medical issue I have will have will be coming from a doctor and I find it best not to jump to the conclusion that they will not help.  I know as well as anyone (remember - 5th dr) that one is not as good as the next, but, we kind of need them, don't we?
I agree mommy anad would advise and have advised the same ....get a new dr.....unfortunatly I am out of work, have insurance thru cobra, anad none of the drs that take my insurance r taking on new patients at this time...I tried two yrs ago same thing....I feel stuck.
and I do agree I need a dr....just wish I had one that was working with me.....I wish we could place an ad and then interview them for the position to find the right dr.....
WANTED DR.....must have the following criteria:
friendly office staff- that returns calls in a timely fashion
dr willing to consider how the patient feels
dr wiling to explain in plain language what the dx is
dr willing to explain all the treatment options

Please feel free to add to this list.......
We definitely do need them...after all, we can't prescribe for ourselves!  Sorry, couldn't resist the ultimate cynicism.

I have to say that my husband and I together have not had a single positive experience with the medical system since moving to our rural area.  There are all of three endos in the "big" city closest to us.  This adds to our frustration...we look at our "burn" rate and fear we'll be driving 125 miles for a tetanus shot one of these days.

My PCP is currently managing my hypo.  I realize I need to make a change and am in the process of researching that.  I'd like to keep my PCP for basic medical problems (the tetanus shot, the dog bite, etc.), but I know I'm going to put her off when I have to ask for a referral to an endo or whoever.  Unfortunately, less populated areas don't attract the best and brightest.  Throw in a little ego, and the whole thing starts to crumble real fast.

AJ
Have you tried an ENT?  We only have one endo in our town and he stinks (I have a journal letter to him), so I switched to an ENT and he is managing my swelling thyroid (normal blood and strange US reports that don't seem to mean a whole lot).  The horrible excuse for an endo gave me Levo, then never did anything else.  The ENT prescribed Armour and I am SURE I would be more of a mess without it.  

I understand frustration.  We shall see how frustrated I am on Monday after the latest Dr. Appt!! :)

Hugs all - off to take the kids shopping out of town!
After seeing several dozen doctors in my life, and being told I had depression or that it was all in my head, when I finally got a real diagnosis from a friend of mine. I then realized that doctor's in general are the most "Closed Minded" individuals that I have ever come across.
Mia
Yeah .. many of them can be  so closed minded (not looking outside the textbook) .. you should see the list I've fired in my past LOL!

C~
C~
Hahahaha, me too. It's very long...... :-(

Mia