Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members
534785 tn?1329595808

Thryoid Ultrasound Results...Any Thoughts?

I got the results of my thyroid ultrasound over the phone last Friday, after being told earlier in the week that there was "something" that had showed up in the ultrasound, but it was not worrisome in the least and I would have to wait to meet with my doctor on the 7th to talk about it. Instead of waiting, they called me to give me my results over the phone a few days later.

There were "no discrete nodules", but there was an "irregular pattern in thyroid" that my doctor described as "slightly heterogeneous thyroid parenchyma". The nurse who was relaying the doctor's notes to me over the phone clarified this as likely meaning "heterogeneous patches of inflammation within the thyroid" comprised of a "very slight mixture of cells". The same day the ultrasound was done, my bloodwork came back as all 'normal', though my TSH dropped from 4.05 (4/28/08) to 5.45 (5/6/08) to 1.58 (6/19/08), which is low for me (I used to have a TSH of ~2.00 in the past). The doctor wants me to have a RAIU procedure done, but I'm not quite sure what she would be looking for in this case, and if this is the best way to proceed.

I'm actually pretty annoyed about all of this because no doctor I've seen has actually ordered a full thyroid panel be done with my bloodwork...instead, in the three times I've had blood taken for thyroid issues in the past two months, I've only had TSH done, TSH/free T4, and TSH/T4. How can anyone get a solid trend from that??? I thought I was having freeT4/freeT3/antibodies (TPO) checked last time, but apparently not. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and I can't get an appointment with an endo until mid-August, but until then, no one seems to know what to do with me. :(

Does anyone have any input on this? I'd like to hear if getting the RAIU procedure is a good path to take. Should I insist that additional bloodwork be done, first? I've had blood taken twice in the last week; four times in the past 5 or 6 weeks...so once more won't matter much.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you might have on this. I don't know what the US results mean, especially the comment regarding "mixture of different cells", since US doesn't have the resolution for viewing cells...? Why is only one side of my neck really swollen, but not the other (if there's no nodule there)? And lastly, I can feel two lumps right under my jaw at the top of my neck, somewhat near the back--I think these are lymph nodes, but if I can feel them easily, does that mean they are swollen? I don't have much pain in my neck, but occasionally, I'll wake up with a sore throat, or it will be slightly sore to the touch. Usually, it isn't.

Thanks!!!
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.