Thyroid Disorders Community

Thyroglobulin Antibodies

I am 3.5 years post TT. I have had excellent blood work since with no Thyroglobulin Antibodies since surgery. My full body scans were all clean and my ultrasound last June was clean. I had blood work done last week. I'm on 150 mcg Synthroid. My TSH is 0.018, T4 10.6, the tumor marker (from Mayo) Thyroglobulin 0.3. But there was a disclaimer on the lab results saying that they couldn't guarantee they were accurate because there were Thyroglobulin Antibodies present, the number was 7.4.

My Doc thinks that the 7.4 Thyroglobulin Antibodies reading is due to an assay error in the lab. Could there another possible reason for this? What causes Thyroglobulin Antibodies? Where do they come from? I know it can be an indicator that the cancer has returned, and plan to have the test redone to confirm the results. I've been searching, but I can't find any information about what in the body creates the antibodies. If they are ever formed for any other reason in a post TT person, other than a return of cancer.

Thank you for your response.
In leman's terms of how I understand it. Thyroglobulin antibodies are iodine proteins that yield the T4 and T3 and the antibodies in your system are the large number of proteins that bind as with an antigen that are fighting against the immune system to maintain those levels against the immune system.

Regardless if your doctor thinks there was an error on the lab - you should recheck those levels as soon as possible.

as for additional reasons on how or why something like this is present on the lab there is a member here who I rely on quite often to add things further. Her name is utahmomma and you can send her a message to get her view on that test. She has had quite a history with thyroid cancer and can definately give you more information.