Thyroid Destruction

I have been having irradical thyroid readings and now my Doctor tells me my antibodies are destroying my thyroid. She is sending me to see an Endocrynologist.  What would cause my antibodies to destroy an organ that is needed for my body?
That's what antibodies do.
Destroy things.

The problem is your immune system has a few wires crossed and now your thyroid is an invader that your immune system is going to destroy.

That is the naure of an autoimmune disease. The body decides something you would like to keep is foreign, and must be destroyed.
Very deep AR - but true

Antibodies have a "brain" on their own and when they react/destroy it's their game then.

Really the best thing to do is continue frequent testing and watch your labs. Your doctor - if a qualified thyroid doc - will have the resources to get you through this until the antibodies are done with what they set out to do.