Thyroid Disorders Community

Thyroid Issues

Hi everyone! I have bee diagnosed with both Graves and Hashmitos at one point. My family practitioner just tested and said I didn't need to see an Endo or be on any medication. Can anyone help me understand my results?

T4, Total, Serum T4 8.6 ug/dL
TSH, Serum or Plasma Tsh 1.22 uIU/mL
Thyroid Peroxidase (Tpo) Ab, Serum Thyroid Perox Ab 1.2 zz
COMMUNITY LEADER
What are the reference ranges for the Total T4 and TPOab?  Reference ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.  

Was there a T3 test done?  

Unfortunately, it appears that your family practitioner is not well versed in thyroid testing/treatment... Total T4 is considered to be obsolete and of little value.  S/he should have ordered Free T4 and Free T3.  

Total T4 shows, both, bound and Free T4, when only the Free T4 is available to be converted to T3.  T3 is the hormone that's used by individual cells in the body, but like T4, only the Free T3 is usable.