Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid Levels after stopping Eltroxin

I have for the past 5 months gradually suffering from high anxiety levels and decided that I needed to have a check up on my thyroid again. Well it turns out to be hyper thyroid. 4 and a half years ago I had surgery for a nodule which they removed, the right side of my thyroid. It was encapsulated in the thyroid so they did not feel it was necessary for Kemo.They then put me on a dose of 0.05mg of eltroxin to check if that would be the right dose for me. 3 years all was good.  I have been clear ever since, with regular checkups. About a year ago I was forced to go to a public hospital for check up which the doctor decided that I should go on a higher dose which was doubled to 0.1mg. I was told by the pharmacist that this was a high dose and decided to not take it to regularly which I did not for approximately 6 months. Then the past + - 5 months I thought I best start taking it regularly as I don’t want to go against what the doctor had told me. Big Mistake! Since then I was very anxious but tolerable. The last month however has been a nightmare! Went to a different doctor who took blood and pulled a report a month and a half prior to us meeting where I landed up in hospital due to a huge panic attack. He pointed out to me that my TSH level was 0.01! The emergency room did not see this. He then immediately told me to stop taking the eltroxin and go for blood test. Went for blood tests the following day (Bering in mind I was still taking the eltroxin just before giving blood) my results came back and this is how it was. T4 was 15.7 (normal ranges 7 - 16) T3 was 5.0 (normal ranges 3.8 - 6) it has been exactly 14 days since I stopped the eltroxin and have been feeling better but very up and down still with the panic attacks still frequent. I’m taking Xanor 0.5mg s/l to cope. My question is how long before my levels balance out and feels back to normal again???? Any one please help!! The doctor is saying I should be over the symptoms of hyper thyroid but does not completely feel that way...
From Medline Plus - Factitious hyperthyroidism (aka iatrogenic or "doctor-induced" hyperthyroidism)...

"You must stop taking thyroid hormone. If you need to take this medicine, you will need to reduce the dose.

You should be re-checked in 2 - 4 weeks to be sure that the signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism are gone. This also helps to confirm the diagnosis."
It sounds like you are feeling some relief from the hyper symptoms???

It takes 4-6 weeks for thyroid meds to be completely out of your system, but hyper symptoms should continue to improve as time goes by.  If you don't feel that you are continuing to improve, you might ask your doctor to test your levels to see what they are now.  Panic attacks can be symptoms of both hypo and hyper.  If your symptoms worsen, it could be because your levels are now too low, i.e. you needed a meds reduction, but still need a lower dose of meds.
Hi Red Star and goolarra

Thank you so much for your responses. The Doctor has informed me that I should go for another test to see where my levels are at so I will be going on Monday morning to give blood and should have results back by Wednesday. This will be 18 days after my last test was done as results shown above. I must mention from the day I stopped with the eltroxin the Hypo symptoms did stop more on the basis of the most intense or should I say high levels of hypo symptoms after + - 11 days. "I thought I was going to losing my mind!!” Since then I have had fluctuating feelings of good emotions to panic/anxiety attacks. It’s really rattled me and got me feeling extremely emotional, confused and not sure of myself anymore ....if I’m okay or not okay, this after the "Hypo". To put it simply I just feel nervous and anxious most days and feel as though I’ve lost a bit of reality, a kinda stuck between 2 worlds, never sure of myself anymore. This has been by far the most scary/emotional/traumatic experience I have ever been through! I must say that my prayers go out to people that suffer this for long periods of time. I’m normally a friendly outgoing person but after this experience it feels as though I have lost a piece of myself. Now taking the Zanor daily just is helping me "cope", again lost between two worlds. I have even considered taking some form of an anti depressant until things normalize. I guess my real question right now will be more or less how long will it take or in which rages should I be in to safely say I’m "good". I think the contribution to the anxiety right now could also be psychological having gone through this experience. Could I be having fluctuating sensations like a come down from the "hyper"..
Thanks in advance!
Hi Red Star

Thank you so much for your response. The Doctor has informed me that I should go for another test to see where my levels are at so I will be going on Monday morning to give blood and should have results back by Wednesday. This will be 18 days after my last test was done as results shown above. I must mention from the day I stopped with the eltroxin the Hypo symptoms did stop more on the basis of the most intense or should I say high levels of hypo symptoms after + - 11 days. "I thought I was going to losing my mind!!” Since then I have had fluctuating feelings of good emotions to panic/anxiety attacks. It’s really rattled me and got me feeling extremely emotional, confused and not sure of myself anymore ....if I’m okay or not okay, this after the "Hypo". To put it simply I just feel nervous and anxious most days and feel as though I’ve lost a bit of reality, a kinda stuck between 2 worlds, never sure of myself anymore. This has been by far the most scary/emotional/traumatic experience I have ever been through! I must say that my prayers go out to people that suffer this for long periods of time. I’m normally a friendly outgoing person but after this experience it feels as though I have lost a piece of myself. Now taking the Zanor daily just is helping me "cope", again lost between two worlds. I have even considered taking some form of an anti depressant until things normalize. I guess my real question right now will be more or less how long will it take or in which rages should I be in to safely say I’m "good". I think the contribution to the anxiety right now could also be psychological having gone through this experience. Could I be having fluctuating sensations like a come down from the "hyper"..
Thanks in advance!
Hi goolarra

Thank you so much for your respons. The Doctor has informed me that I should go for another test to see where my levels are at so I will be going on Monday morning to give blood and should have results back by Wednesday. This will be 18 days after my last test was done as results shown above. I must mention from the day I stopped with the eltroxin the Hypo symptoms did stop more on the basis of the most intense or should I say high levels of hypo symptoms after + - 11 days. "I thought I was going to losing my mind!!” Since then I have had fluctuating feelings of good emotions to panic/anxiety attacks. It’s really rattled me and got me feeling extremely emotional, confused and not sure of myself anymore ....if I’m okay or not okay, this after the "Hypo". To put it simply I just feel nervous and anxious most days and feel as though I’ve lost a bit of reality, a kinda stuck between 2 worlds, never sure of myself anymore. This has been by far the most scary/emotional/traumatic experience I have ever been through! I must say that my prayers go out to people that suffer this for long periods of time. I’m normally a friendly outgoing person but after this experience it feels as though I have lost a piece of myself. Now taking the Zanor daily just is helping me "cope", again lost between two worlds. I have even considered taking some form of an anti depressant until things normalize. I guess my real question right now will be more or less how long will it take or in which rages should I be in to safely say I’m "good". I think the contribution to the anxiety right now could also be psychological having gone through this experience. Could I be having fluctuating sensations like a come down from the "hyper"..
Thanks in advance!
You don't have to post separate answers to each of us.  We can all see them.  It's fine, just for future reference...

It's not easy to say what range you should be in.  We all have to find out for ourselves where we feel best.  Individual differences can be huge.  

One thing that can help is having FT3, FT4 and TSH tested on every blood draw.  If you do that, you will see where you feel good.  If lab values later change, you'll know which direction to adjust your meds to get back to those levels where you felt well.  That point is different for all of us.

As a general rule, most people find that FT4 has to be around the middle of the range before hypo symptoms are relieved.  FT3 often has to be upper half of range.  That's a general rule, but remember, lots of us break it.  I've gone hyper with labs that most people would still be hypo with.  Track your labs (do you have any old ones from when you were feeling good to look at now?), jot symptoms and meds dose down on the report, and you will be building a really valuable history.

By all means, if you need temporary help from meds until you get through this, do what it takes to feel better.

Best of luck, and let us know how it all turns out...