Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid OR depression symptoms?

How do you differentiate between hypo symptoms and depression?

It seems to me that since I know I have a hypo issue, I am even more fatigued and unable to get out of bed.

And this makes me think if the way I feel is psychological related, or if it's from being hypo.

In the last 3 weeks I can hardly get out of bed and I can't pinpoint if it's just laziness, depression-related or a hypo symptom. I know hypo causes depression and no one really knows if it's egg or chicken paradox etc.

I feel bad about feeling this way and sometimes I feel that in fact I am a lazy bum using this as an excuse. I am kind of going crazy with these feelings and it would help to understand if it's normal. So far I am getting away with it as I am at least temporarily the only employee in my company in the city, but if they decide to repopulate the office again before I get things under control, I am not sure I'd be able to function.

I am really scared. Did you all feel this way? I will only see my doctor on the 26 and am dreading for my mental health till then :/ And, is there something I could do to feel a little more normal before I start taking meds?
This info is from Harvard Health Publication. The article is entitled "When depression starts in the neck".

"Distinguishing depression from hypothyroidism:

Shared symptoms:

Depressed mood
Fatigue
Weight gain
Reduced sexual desire
Trouble concentrating

More typical of depression:

Insomnia
Restlessness and inability to sit still
Feelings of worthlessness
Inappropriate guilt
Thoughts of death or suicide
Planning or attempting suicide

More likely hypothyroidism:

Feeling chilled or overly sensitive to cold temperatures
Constipation
Muscle cramps or stiffness
Dry skin and hair
Hair loss
Hoarseness
Slowed heart rate"
It's kind of impossible to differentiate.  Once you know that you are hypo, I would assume the depression is thyroid related until thyroid hormones were optimized. It's such a common symptom of hypo.  If it doesn't go away, you can look elsewhere later.  

I'm sure there also is a psychological element to it.  We're human...our minds prey on us.

If your doctor has your labs in hand and knows you are hypo, is there any way you could call him tomorrow and ask him for a low dose script to help you get through?
thanks goolara. stuff to think about.

problem is I don't want to get treatment from my PCP as she is too traditional (TSH lover etc), and the Dr. I chose from Mary Shomon website can only see me on the 26th. She will start me on Synthroid, (she stated that's what she'll do "if TSH comes abnormal again" this week). And I don't think it's a good idea as all indicate my issue must be FT3 (I'll know better when I get results this week).

probably not a good idea to start on Synthroid before I see Dr. #2, right?

just read Bruce thread on "waves of feeling bad", so discouraging... seems even after treatment people don't feel great =(

From your prior posts, you sound frustrated about the current course of treatment facing you. I'm wondering if part of you feeling more depressed and tired is because of your discouragement or lack of direction in treatment right now? Just an idea- moods can be tricky to pinpoint to a single cause. I have definitely felt depressed because of my thyroid treatment.
Good point Rach, haven't thought about it. While it's great to find out the reason I might have been so fatigued, it's overwhelming to realize that it might take a long time to get the right treatment, dose, etc. Plus I want to start treatment but have my hands tied waiting for an appointment for almost a month =( but there's nothing I can do about it.

Also, broke up with the guy I'm dating yesterday but not sure if it's my wish or something hypo crazyness related. Somehow I don't trust my feelings anymore!
I guess I just wanted to understand if there's a difference of thyroid-fatigue and depression-fatigue, or if feels exactly the same?