Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid Pathology Test?

I have been to a new doctor and want to check if she has in fact given me a pathology test for Hypothyroidism.  This is what I have requested.

Here's what the pathology slip says.
FBE; U/E/Cr and LFT, TSH,: Fasting Chol, TG, LDL, HDL; and Glu

Am I getting my thyroid tested are am I just doing what the doctor wants me to do and not giving me the right tests?

Does any of the above make any sense to anyone out there?

COMMUNITY LEADER
Go back to the top of this thread and look at the first couple of posts... the tests you need to insist (take a list with you) are the thyroid function tests, Free T3 and Free T4, along with the inevitable TSH.  Also ask for the antibody tests TPOab and TgAb, explained above to confirm or rule out Hashimoto's.  

Due to your symptoms, you could also have some vitamin/mineral deficiencies, so while you're at it, ask your doctor to test for vitamin B-12, vitamin D, ferritin and magnesium.

You should also have adrenals checked out to make sure nothing is amiss there. Most doctors won't order the 24 hr saliva test, but there are places from which you can order it online.  

I'd also suggest that you have testosterone and estrogen levels tested.

While you may have to try several different doctors before you get all of the tests, rest assured this is not in your mind.  Hormonal imbalance and/or vitamin/mineral deficiencies can do strange things to us and it's not unusual for doctors to want to send us to the psychiatrist or put us on anti-depressants right away... I had one who did that when I had undiagnosed Pernicious Anemia and was severely deficient in vitamin B-12.  To this day I deal with peripheral neuropathy caused by being left untreated for many years...  Don't give up.
FBE - full blood examination
U/E/Cr - urea, electrolytes, creatinine
LFT - liver function tests
TSH - thyroid stimulating hormone
Fasting Chol - fasting cholesterol
TG - triglycerides
LDL - low density lipoprotein
HDL - high-density lipoprotein
Glu - glucose

You should fast for 12 hours (water allowed) and have these labs done in the morning. More indepth testing for hypothyroidism: TSH, free T4, free T3, thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb), thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb).

COMMUNITY LEADER
Without the Free T3 and Free T4 that Red_Star mentioned, you aren't getting thyroid function tests at all, since those are the actual thyroid hormones. Those tests will tell you if your thyroid is actually producing adequate hormones.  

The TSH test is simply a pituitary test that tells whether the pituitary gland "thinks" your body needs more thyroid hormones... it can be wrong sometimes, especially in the case of secondary hypothyroidism, which doctors often miss.

The TPOab and TgAb are thyroid antibody tests that would indicate if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and would be needed if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism.  

If you have symptoms of hyperthyroidism, you should also ask for a Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin Test, which is the definitive test for Graves Disease.
so in other words, my doctor is following his own agenda?
The reason I say this is because I specifically went in to get a referral for Hypothyroidism
COMMUNITY LEADER
If your TSH comes back elevated, that's an indication of hypothyroidism, and is what most doctors consider the "gold standard"; however, many labs are still using old ranges and you can be hypo even with a TSH that's in range, if your Free T3 and Free T4 are too low in their ranges...

High cholesterol and triglycerides are also symptoms of hypothyroidism, but again, if the TSH is "in range", many doctors would ignore those symptoms as those of a thyroid condition.  They will, instead, put them down to poor diet, lack of exercise, etc.  

To answer your question honestly - unless your doctor is very progressive and would be willing to diagnose hypothyroidism based on other blood tests, he's following his own agenda.  Since he did not order actual thyroid hormone tests or antibody tests, I can't see his being overly progressive...

You can call and ask to have the recommended tests added to the lab order.  Or you can have these tests done and argue with the doctor when the results come back, but that's a waste of time.

What symptoms are you having?