Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid Test Results "Normal" but I am not feeling "normal".

too an suffering from Hypothyroidism. Just recently went to a new Endocrinologist, and he confirmed that I do have Hashimotos. He took blood work, and they just called me and said all levels were in the normal range, so just to continue what I'm doing. But I'm still not feeling the best. I am better though. My levels were as follows:  THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES>900  H with the  Reference Range of <9 (IU/mL). My FT3 was 261 which is considered "normal" and my FreeT4 was 0.9 which is also considered "normal". I was kind of disappointed when I got the results, and even though he knew I was still not feeling good, he based my medicine off of the results and not how I'm feeling. I know from experience that not everyone has the same "normal". My question is should I call back and let him know I'm still not feeling good? I've been on 200 mcg of Synthroid for about 3 weeks now. It was 175 before. Should I give it a while longer to get into my system completely and let my body adjust?  I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome working against me.
If you didn't get a copy or access to the lab results ask for them. In the USA they by law must give you the lab results if you ask for them.  

If you do or when you do get them, please post the actual results along with the reference ranges.  Also verify if the T3 test is "freeT3" or "totalT3"  If not designated as "free T3" then it almost certainly is "total T3" which is an outdated test of limited value.

I can tell you a reference range we often see for Free T4 you would be very near the dead rock bottom of the range.  

We have found here that most people seem to need to have BOTH of the results as follows.  As you point out every one feels well at a different level, but the rule of thumb is as follows.

1) Free T4 to be in the MIDDLE of the range or slighly higher.  This means 50% or a bit higher in the range. As stated above the frequent range we see would put you closer to about 10% of the range. A FAR cry from 50% plus!

AND- that means in addition to having #1 above,

2) Free T3 to be in the upper half to upper 1/3 of the  range.  This means 50% to 67%. With the general consensus is leaning more towards the 67% of the range.

Understand that you body ultimately uses ONLY the Free T3 hormone at the cellular level.  This is why it is so critically important to demand that the Free T3 test be used as this is all that is ultimately used.

You definately have Hashi's. But the treatment is ultimately the same. To ensure that you are taking enough supplmental thyroid medication to keep up with the progressive reduction of your thyroid gland production in order to feel well.

What symptoms do you have?