Thyroid Disorders Community

Thyroid Test Results

Hello friends,
Can you please help and tell me about my test results for thyroid.
I won't be able to see a doctor for another month.
Thank you.

Methodology: ECLIA Roche COBAS 6000

Result             Units             Ref. Range
TSH               3.82                uIU/mL          Euthyroid: 0.27-4.2

Free T4         1.6                  ng/dL             Euthyroid: 1.0-1.7
                      20.6               pmol/L           12.87-21.88

Free T3         3.3                  pg/mL           Euthyroid: 2.0-4.4
                      5.1                 pmol/L           3.08-6.78
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Patrick...

Your TSH is on the high side, but well within the normal limits.  If anything your Free T4 and Free T3 lean toward hyperthyroidism, not hypo, as we previously thought might be the case, though your Free T3 is only at 54% of its range...  Your Free T4, on the other hand, is at 88%, which is still within range and shouldn't cause the symptoms you have.

We, typically, recommend that Free T4 be about mid range and Free T3 be in the upper half to upper third of its range.

I would say that whatever is causing your problems might not be thyroid related.

Did you get the thyroid antibody tests or the vitamin/mineral tests?
Thank you for your prompt response.

I did manage to find my old test result from 11/18/2014 and it is TSH of 7.06 (Range 0.40-4.50).

3/05/2015 TSH of 3.31 (Range 0.40-4.50). T4 of 1.3 (Range 0.8-1.8)

If you take all 3 different tests into consideration would you think hypothyroidism is an issue?

I did not get antibody or vitamin/mineral test because I did not see check boxes for antibody and I completely forgot about the vitamins/minerals...
COMMUNITY LEADER
If I take all 3 tests into consideration, I wouldn't think hypothyroidism right now, but I'd think Hashimoto's, because it's quite common to swing from hypo as your 11/2014 test indicated back to normal, as in your 3/2015 test and now toward hyper...

Your TSH was high, but even with no Free T4 or Free T3, we'll "assume" yours would have been on the low side, causing your TSH to be elevated...

Your 3/15 FT4 was right at mid range, which is about as good as it gets.  Your TSH was also good, if toward the higher end.  Since those were good, we can only assume that your FT3 was also good.

Keep in mind, this is merely an assumption, based on years of seeing this kind of thing and there are always exceptions to the rule...

Then we have your current levels, which, if anything are a bit on the high side, especially your FT4, which is at 88% of the range.  Your FT3 is okay at mid range, but not great...

The TSH is on the high end of the range, so the mid range FT3 could cause you to have hypo symptoms AND some symptoms can apply to either/both hypo and hyper.  

It would be good if you could get the antibody tests... I don't know what country you're in, TPOab is sometimes known as thyroid peroxidase autoantibody test, antimicrosomal antibody test, and. antithyroid microsomal antibody test.   To my knowledge TgAb is only known as Thyroglobulin Antibodies.

If you can get those and the vitamin/mineral tests, it would sure be helpful.  

As far as treatment, your thyroid hormone levels are not such that you would find a doctor to treat you for hypothyroidism.  If you're deficient in Vitamin D or B-12, many of symptoms may be partially alleviated, since deficiency of these 2 vitamins can cause many hypo-like symptoms.
Thank you for your feedback. You have been very informative. I will take the antibody tests the next time I go for a blood test in about 2 weeks and I will have a full blood test.
I spoke with a specialist which is the best in the city I am from back home. He told me that these results are very suspicious of low grade hypothyroidism. I will be seeing him soon. I know I have it even if it is a little, because of the symptoms of being extremely cold at times and muscle pain.