Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid in the news with Oprah again

I woke this morning to the early morning news - The top story is Oprah talking about her weight again and (from how I am hearing it) she is speaking about her hypothyroidism as the situation.

I know her last article she wrote about her "escape" to her retreat in Hawaii upset alot of us here - with her proclaiming "This HEALED her."

But today it sounded she had another twist on things. She is planning on going to President- elect Obama's swear in and she quotes - she is depressed because of her gaining weight - she will have to make other arrangements for her attire that was planned for the event.

Keep in mind - January is thyroid awareness month. This is the time we need to really pull as much resource information as we can to get this disease out there as a public awareness.

I suggest - if you can find the time - to write or email letters to Oprah - ( now that she is in the news about her thyroid again)

Has anyone ever written to her? Do you know the best way to get a letter through?

Get it out there people!! We need this awareness.

So many months and hundreds of posts with people talking here about undiagnoised symptoms "bad" labs and uninformed doctors about the diesease. Think about it??

Take a look at the archives here on Med help at the hundreds of posts regarding women ( and men) in the same situtations she is in with her weight!

In fact I just responded on one today that was posted days ago!

Really it is our chance to maybe turn the table a bit for us as individuals as well as millions of others! She is a Global icon for many and if she is speaking publically about this as her problem - we should respond.

I hope we can build a uniform community to make public awareness of thyroid disease in January the best for this year.

I really hope we can be proactive as a community and really impact her. Her "O" issue will feature something about this from what I am hearing - not sure if it is December or January's issue though.

Please members - assist me with this if you can.

Stella, thanks for the head's up on on Oprah.  I do believe she has a website with an area to write an e-mail.

Yes January is Thyroid Awareness Month.

Let's make it a banner month for all of us with thyroid cancer ..................the best month of the year!

C~
There is an area on her website to submit story ideas as well .. could be creative with titles and submissions and if various people did it .. it should get noticed by those screening the entries.  

Wonderful idea Stella and, from a weight perspective, think I can help as well.  Let's do this and get the world out about thyroid and weight .. and the useful benefits of the trackers and online support.

I'm with you all and think we should also work together to get a weight loss program going for thyroid members .. how about a live chat in WL&D especially geared to Q&A for those with thyroid?  Anyone interested?

Will submit something this weekend and keep in touch .. best wishes all ..

((Hugs))
Ranae
I was on her website in the thyroid area yesterday!!! I had just found it yesterday and read some of the postings. Great idea Stella....we should all send letters in regards to being thyroid patients. She can then read how the average person suffers with thyriod issues.  :)  
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'll get on this band wagon with ya'll.  I'm new at the whole thyroid thing, because it took so long for anyone to get the point that my symptoms (fatigue, weight gain etc) had to with something other than being lazy and not pushing back from the table soon enough; but I sure know what it's like to try to get rid of of the weight that goes with it.  I'll try to visit Oprah's website this evening.  Thanks for the idea.  
Associated Press News Article - 12/10
Oprah Winfrey says she Weighs 200 Lbs:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jTmiWb6RyGjUXVASWXd2p56YPVlwD94VGRH00

------
Contact Us - Oprah.com:
        https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220

Write to the Editors -  O The Oprah Magazine:
         https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=505&referer=http://www.oprah.com/pluglist.jsp?teamTypeName=otheoprahmagazine

-------

Article that will appear in the January O issue:
             http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200901_omag_oprah_weight/4

Cut & Paste the links into your browser.

Hope this helps,

C~
Please include the trackers in your letter to Oprah -

Thyroid Hormones Tracker
http://www.medhelp.org/land/thyroid-hormones-tracker

Weight Loss Tracker
http://www.medhelp.org/land/track-weight-loss  ;

Exercise Tracker
http://www.medhelp.org/land/exercise-tracker

List of All our Trackers:
http://www.medhelp.org/land/health-trackers

C~
This is a great idea, Stella. It's a shame I don't like Oprah more (reaaaally not a big fan of her at all). =( If I can find some time during winter break, I'll definitely write something to her, though. I think letters/emails are the best way to reach her...and it helps if you tie in a personal story with the message you're conveying. So everyone should be sure to tell their thyroid tales, and get us--and the rest of the thyroid sufferers--some well-deserved publicity and awareness regarding thyroid disease! You could also put in a shameless plug for MedHelp. Maybe Oprah will mail us all thyroid t-shirts or something. ;)
I wrote an email to Oprah about 6-8 months ago.  I had the thought that she obviously had the problem of hypo t and that she could do a lot to help others by making the general public more aware of thyroid problems, and the general lack of understanding and proper treatment.  So that's what I suggested she use as the subject for one of her programs.  I related info about the new range for TSH, and how it had not been fully adopted yet.  I mentioned the misuse of TSH as the predominant measure for prescribing med., etc.  I related many of the symptoms of hypo t that go untreated as a result.  Don't know if it got past her staff, but I still think it would be a great thing, if she would do a program like that.        
I agree with Jules and thanks for your post.  

I do believe all it takes is one lucky break .. for one person on her staff to click on our Thyroid Tracker!!!!!!    The trackers are new ... I do believe MedHelp is the ONLY ONE who has developed this type of tracker!!!!    This is something we all need to reference in our stories ... how the trackers have helped us and helped our docs, too.

Along with your story, share something different .....share the trackers.  That's my thought this go-around.

C~
Your message inspired me to write Oprah another note just now.
There will be more awareness in numbers.

I go back to my past here when I first started writing here on Med Help.

The "Chicken Club" was the big thing -

We'll LET THE FEATHERS FLY!!! The more we hit the websites - the more chances we will get this out.

She in a position now - since she is going public being "heavy" that she can finally look at this as more than a "stress" disease.

Her hormones are making her fat - just like some of us - maybe if this gets out there we won't be getting the DX to go on weight watchers or being called lazy anymore.

I see it as - IF we get this out doctors will HAVE to look deeper into these symptoms to get us well - because of the impact their offices will have.

Think about it??

Her last show stunk on thyroid - WE DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN.

I'd say it's her hormones and her love of food.....she has a personal chef to cook her anything she wants. When he was cooking her lots of really healthy, lean meals, she dropped in weight. But when she wasn't as disciplined, she gained it right back. Also, what type of foods we eat can really affect our thyroids. There's a reason Asians have a higher incidence of thyroid disease than other ethnic backgrounds...it's because they have diets heavy in salt (think sushi!).

I want to blame thyroid disease for being portly, but now that I have dropped most of the weight as a result of my metabolism turning around (thank you, Provigil!), I could still afford to lose some more, which is probably not my thyroid's fault.

I'll write her a great letter, though, anyway. They'll be unable to resist me...and then when I (hopefully) end up on TV, I'll reference all of you by your user-names--i.e. Stella5349, ChitChatNIne, etc. It'll be great! I can even make a powerpoint to show how great the Trackers are. :-D
Who is daring enough to go onto the show for all of us?  She has a show coming up for "Did you fall off the weight loss wagon" for those that are not shy (like me....lol) it would be nice to get the information out there.  To answer the questions on there though you have to be willing to go on the show.  
Well sorry we crossed.  I'm slow today.  lol  There's one for us.  Good luck Jules.
By all means, if anyone else can imagine themselves on a daytime talk show chatting with Oprah, do speak up!

Don't worry Me967, I'm slow almost everyday.....
Does Opera need some Armour?.haha. Shoot, with all that money she should be cured by the best docs already. I guess money doesnt buy everything. By the way i would never go on Opera, sorry ladies.Good luck Opera.  
I am not sure what is going on with my computer but I swear I posted what I wrote to her -

Anyway here it is

BUT OPRAH........ IT “IS” YOUR THYROID MAKING YOU FAT - AT LEAST A PART OF IT!!

Hello

First off - I am a thyroid patient - pretty much the same as you Oprah - I was diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroid) in 2003 - due to the hyperactivity of the gland  (and boy did I look hot losing the weight from that disease) I started to suffer more symptoms and eventually almost fell into cardiac arrest from a thyroid storm. I had to have my thyroid ablated out (RAI) soon after the diagnoses.

That was a life changing event. It wasn't as easy as the endocrinologist said it would be. Taking that - "one synthetic hormone pill for life" did not cure me of anything - in fact - it almost killed me a second time.

Almost immediately I started to gain weight as my TSH levels climbed. I was concerned after a 20 pound increase within a month it was out of control. I could not eat much either. My whole system slowed down. I kept hearing "it's not your thyroid making you fat" - patted on the head and sent off with a hefty endo bill.

Not only was I getting fat - I had headaches - muscle aches - I lost all interest in everything I loved. HOUSEWORK (which I adored) disgusted me - All I wanted to do was rest.  I was an active MOM with two boys and when this hit. I lost all 4 yrs of high school with them. Depression and anxiety was HUGE, from the dysfunction of me and not knowing WHY I felt so bad - Knowing now a chemical imbalance in the brain happens to many hypothyroid people that they can't control. Anti depressants only mask the problem and makes the weight gain WORSE!!

I was near my ropes end in 2007 - no job - terrible insurance - no help from doctors, family, and friends. I had a ton of diagnoses with GI issues, IBS, Acid reflex, (oh God the list feels endless) As God is my witness I prayed daily to give me the answers to why I felt this way.  

I started searching back from the beginning researching thyroid disease, spending sometimes 10hrs a day reading about the tests- labs and symptoms - inside and out.  It started making sense. I stumbled onto a something that sounded like me. Not converting T4 into T3 hormones from a synthetic med. The med Armour popped up.  

That brought me to another battle - Finally in October 2007 after 5 different doctors dismissing the thought of trying the med - one agreed. WOW. After getting on the med I started to feel a sense of "FOG" lift from my mind. A sense of BEING returned.

NOW THE WEIGHT - still (fat) but thinking clearly again - I went back to researching thyroid disease and weight gain. The connection was insulin resistance and sluggish hormones. When fighting hypothyroidism for so long in anyone, (regardless if under treated, elimating meds entirely or having surgery or RAI - the other components of our hormonal system working too hard to "make up" what we are lacking. Cortisol for one is a prime disfunctions from being kept hypothyroid regardless of labs.  And thyroid meds won’t work with poor adrenals. Those poor glands pick up so much slack when the thyroid is being neglected that when they poop out they add a huge array of symptoms including the "pooch" stomach  = defined as a excess amount of cortisol build up around the middle portion of your stomach . WEIGHT!!

In addition a female in an undiagnosed hypothyroid state can fall early into menopause but can be viewed as perimenopausal. (Being surgically induced in a hysterectomy can burden the situation further for hypothyroid women)

Even through the labs for testing can be "normal" the ratios of levels may be off to maintain proper function of metabolism, anxiety and sexual performance. Most can find a balance simply by adding Progesterone. Others may need tweaking elsewhere.

The RIGHT doctor needs to take all the correlations into consideration before just adding prescription after prescription to "band aid" the symptom and stop masking the root cause!

Hence - doctors will still tell the person they test normal and send them on their way fat -fuzzy minded and frustrated.

Please let me tell you more - MILLIONS NEED YOU ON THYROID!!

COMMUNITY LEADER
Wow Stella, that's great.  That last part about "doctors telling the patient they test normal, then sending them on their way, fat, fuzzy minded and frustrated" really hits home.  That's exactly what happened to me on Monday.  I have all the symptoms of insulin resistance, but the numbers on the lab report fell inside "the normal range"; therefore, I HAVE to be just fine (right?) and there's nothing in my throat that's choking me - "it's all caused by stress" and I "need to go home and MOVE more" and I'll be able to get rid of the weight.  Yeah, that's what my dr told me - without ever having done a FT-3, anti-body testing, ultra sound or anything.  Luckily, I do have an ENT that was more than willing to do them.

No, I don't always exercise like I should because most of the time I don't have the energy!!  I'm really new at this and I want off this roller coaster - I can only imagine what it's been like for some of you that have been dealing with it for years.  
Great ideas guys, I'm going to check out her website & draft up an e mail as well. With Oprah & her thyroid being in the news & January being Thyroid Awareness Month - this is our big opportunity. I remember reading something in an Aussie magazine a few weeks ago also about Oprah & her thyroid weight battle, I'll see if I can track it down. I know there are a few celebs with hypoT & I've often wondered - with all their money & access to the best health care available - what sort of thyroid meds they're on.  
Please do a full week if possible on thyroid disease.  Your thyroid disease is one of the reasons that you have gained weight.  If you are in hypo mode, it will slow down you metabelism, thus the weight gain.
We at medhelp.com needs to put the awareness out there and what better place to put out the information. We need doctors to listen and not judge because they have letters in front of or behind their names.  We also need doctors to listen to the person and not always the test.    

I knew something was wrong with me for about 5 years, but every thing kept coming back normal.  I gained 40+ pounds in two months and I was told to excercise.   I had not gained or loss more than 5 pounds within a year before that.  I still couldnt get anyone to listen.

I had hot nodules and the radioactive iodine treatment which has left me between hyper and hypo thyroid.  It has also left me hoarse for the last year.  Imagine a 48 yo woman having to go through speech therapy to try and get the voice back to where it was.   I had 12 weeks of speech but had to quit do to cost and insurance not wanting to pay.  

First off - I am a thyroid patient - pretty much the same as you Oprah - I was diagnosed with hot nodules (hyperthyroid) in 2007 - due to the hyperactivity of the gland. I started to suffer more symptoms and eventually I had to have my thyroid ablated out (RAI) soon after the diagnoses.

That was a life changing event. It wasn't as easy as the endocrinologist said it would be. Taking that - "one  pill for life" and you should be ok. Although I was in hyper mode, i never lost weight.  I gained weight whether I was hyper or hypo thyroid.

I know about me and my thyroid family on medhelp, but think of how many others out there who has no idea that the thyroid can make their life a living hell.  I'm not an expert, but I try to read as much as I can on the subject.

Oprah, please take a moment or have one of your staff members take moment and visit medhelp and check out how we help each other through the good and bad times.   You may want to join our group as well.

We have various trackers to track the progress of whats going on with out body on a daily basis.

Please check in with Cheryl or Stella...they are our community leaders.

Thank you in advance for your time Ms. Terence (Terri)  or should you visit medhlep, i'm blksapphire
count me in family I'm writing to Oprah now
Try to PM all your friends as a type of chain letter here and tell them to view this post. Have them respond here as well as consider writing a letter/email to her.

Her show she is making this public starts January 5th and  lasts all week. Her show is on the ABC broadcast station here in the states.

The message has to reach her soon.
I watched her show yesterday and two things stuck out entirely for me that I related too.

Her "moon face" like she was swollen

and she had that puffy sack under her eyes - clearly she had what we talk about here being hypothyroid.

I wanted to jump through the TV
                                          .•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.

T H A N K  Y O U !

Contact Us - Oprah.com:

Thyroid Hormones Tracker

Weight Loss Tracker
http://www.medhelp.org/land/track-weight-loss ;  

Exercise Tracker

List of All our Trackers:

~.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.

Stella5349
                                                       Laura1967
                                                             ♥