Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid med intolerance/TSH up to 16

My TSH is 16-something and I feel absolutely horrible.  I saw my doctor a week ago and have been upping my Synthroid and compounded thyroid that I take, but I cannot tolerate taking the doses my doctor wants me to because of heart palpitations and chest pain/pressure/heaviness.  Has anyone else ever had this same problem and had it treated successfully? (i.e. intolerance of thyroid medicine?)  Have tried metoprolol with it, but that just made me feel worse overall.  Have had my heart checked out (stress test, Holter and echo) with negative results.  I am just very hypersensitive to ALL medicines (while hospitalized a few years ago a nurse gave me 2 percocets, even though I told her I COULD NOT take TWO percocets, and I ended up staying overnight another night because they had to give me IV Phenergan for the nausea and keep taking my blood pressure in case it went too low so they could give me IV fluids.
Some of us are VERY sensitive to thyroid meds.  The doses your doctor "wants you to" take are probably either too high for you or the increases have been too rapid.  Yes, you will bew able to be successfully treated, but that treatment has to go at YOUR pace, not your doctor's.

Please post your most recent free T3, free T4 and TSH results along with their reference ranges.  

What thyroid meds are you taking and what's your dose?  How long have you been being treated altogether?

I'm sensitive to everything, also. They don't wajt to listen to me, either.