Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid nodules with normal bloodwork but hyperthyroid-like symptoms

Hello.  I am a 46 hr.old female. I was just diagnosed with 2 thyroid nodules.  My bloodwork was normal, however, I have hyperthyroid-like symptoms that come and go.  For the past 5 years, I have heart palpitations (couple times a week), and spells of rapid heart beat (once or twice a month where my resting heart rate rises to about 120, then after 3-8 minutues, it will slow back down to around 95-100). I have worn a heart monitor, and my resting rate is usually around 100.  The heart doctor says everthing is okay.  The thyroid dr. put me on levothyroxin for the nodules.  Is this the right medication for me considering my heart issues?  I also have symptoms of hoarseness in the afternoon/evening (not every day), waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air (once every 2-3 months and only when I sleep on my back), a slight sore throat all the time, tremors during the night (once every 2-3 months).  Could the nodules be causing these symptoms?  Thank you!
The nodule could be producing thyroid hormone and causing your hyper symptoms.

Protocal would be to start a patient on thyroid medication but the Levo may not be right for you.

You could suggest either an increase (if you TSH is high) or switch to name brand Synthroid
The thyroid medicine will supress the TSH which may aggrawate the heart condition; the hormone treatment to shrink the nodules is not very effective in most cases.
If nodule located closer to voice nerve at midline of the neck it can effect the voice.