Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid removed on Levothyroxine

I guess I should start by saying I am new here..and I have this dilemna. I feel like **** all the time. Dry, patchy scaly skin, headaches, I dont sleep very well, I am tired all the time not near the energy I had before the surgery. I have almost lost all of my sex drive. I get hot then cold, and it seems like I am forgetting things...even at my job..and that cannot happen. I got my T4 free results: 1.4   TSH 0.434. Dr. says normal. the numbers are normal....but why am I gaining weight (20 pounds). It seems like  daily. And why do I  feel the way I feel if everything is normal? I have had a hysterectomy 17 yrs ago, that would explain some bloating maybe, and all the weight I gain is right in the middle of my belly...I am starting to look 5 months preggers....This is so NOT fun. Being that I had my thyroid removed 8 months ago, I am currently on Levothyroxine  (0.125 mg). I also have  type 2 diabetes, insulin dependent. I take 35 units of Lantus at night. I take Novolog on a sliding scale using 2 units per carb. My blood sugars are in control. I take Lisinopril 40mg. I take Amlodipine 5 mg.  I have gained weight and cannot lose any. It is as if I have a tube in my belly pumping air in. I do treadmill , ablounge and pilates 4 days a week. I have even changed the way I eat because of this weight issue.

hi
i am on levothyroxine too and i have the same problem of gaining weight, i do exercises too. all i can tell you is just watch what you eat especially snacks. i have started losing weight bit by bit, i drink alot of juices and fruits. try maybe it will work on you.

M
I do watch what I eat. The diabetes makes sure that I do that. I have cut my snacks to more healthy snacks, I snack on veggies during the day, I have cut my pastas to measured amounts according to carb counts..my breads and potatos. Juices I drink very seldom because of the sugar content. And this may sound weird, but my back is starting to hurt from the weight of my belly...sheesh.
Has anyone checked your Free T3?  Free T3 has the greatest effect on your metabolizm.  Some people are not able to convert T4 to T3. and need to add it to their meds.
No..My Dr. has only run T4 free and TSH tests. I am not sure what  T3 test is..its not on my printout of ran tests..no resuts on there for that. You know, that is something that just tweeks my tweeter. I have been telling my Dr. how I am feeling..and all she/and he say is eat less, and exercise more. I have done that. I have done all I know to do. Ive never had a weight problem til now. Is T3 something I need?
Yes, your body needs Free T3.  Normally, your body converts Free T4 to Free T3 by bonding with iodine.  Something about knocking off a molecule?
I'm fairly new to this thyroid stuff.  It is sooo complicated!  I think that some Drs. would not know what to do with a low Free T3, so they don't test it.

So I guess the next step is to go ask your Dr. for another blood test.  If the result is in the ditch, that explains it.  I think most feel good with FT 3 in the upper 1/3 of the range.

I'm recently hypo after RAI for hyper.  It is too soon for me to expect to be stable on Levoxyl.  I've been taking B complex and calcium with D.  It seems to make a HUGE difference in my energy level.
One more question, how come the T3 tests werent ordered? Does the T4 and T3 go hand in hand? I am so confused and frustrated. None of them are listening to me. 3 yrs ago I tell them of my symtoms in which I thought I was going into menopause...but it was my thyroid...go figure. What are normal T3 numbers? She said my TSH and T4 were normal. What to do.