Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid scan for nodules after ultrasound?

I am hypothyroid with Hashimoto's.  I had an ultrasound done which revealed a multinodular goiter.  Since I have a family history of thyroid tumors, I asked my doctor about evaluating the nodules to make sure they were benign.  He said it wasn't necessary.  I kept insisting that I wanted the nodules evaluated and asked about fine needle biopsy.  He finally agreed to send off a referral for the biopsy.  About a month and multiple phone calls later, I found out that the radiologist from the hospital that reviewed my ultrasound said that I had to have a thyroid scan before he'd consider doing a fine needle biopsy.  This seemed very strange to me.  I assume it's to check to see if my nodules are hot or cold and then to only further investigate if they are cold.
When I got my referral to the endocrinologist, I was able to ask via the receptionist if the thyroid scan was necessary and the message was "no" in my case.  So, I just called and cancelled the thyroid scan.  Now I am having doubts about whether I did the right thing.
Has anyone heard of having a thyroid scan AFTER ultrasound for nodule evaluation?  (Keeping in mind that I am hypo and not hyper.)
2 Responses
536139 tn?1273189552
Hi.  I did the opposite, as I had the Thyroid Scan first.  It came back absolutely normal.  Then I had the ultrasound which also revealed a multinodular goiter.  I asked about the fine needle biopsy, and the endo said no.  My nodules were sub-cemtimeters (under 1 cm), so I am told they are too small to biopsy.  Do you know what size your nodules are?  The endo says I am HYPER, yet she said I have Hashi's thyroiditis.  I am only on Inderal for the mild hyper symptoms I have.  I guess size is key?  
No, I don't know what size the nodules are.  On the ultrasound, one looked much bigger than the others, but I don't know any of the dimensions.  I really wish patients were given their own copies of lab/ultrasound results to refer back to! I will have to add that to my list of questions to ask the endocrinologist.  I think they can tell other details about the nodule on the ultrasound that determine likelihood of cancer, like shape, borders, and how it bounces back the sound waves.  I just don't know if my nodules were "suspicious" at all.  
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.