Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Very large Thyroid tumor

I have, at least according to the US and CT tests, two fairly large tumors.  One is 4.2cm the other 6.3 cm.  The large one is displacing the trachea significantly and to a lesser degree the laraynax.  Went to a Endocrinologist who thinks there is actually one tumor albeit very large.  Apparently the mass extends down as far as the thoracic aorta; positioned in the anterior/upper mediastinal wall.   The left thyroid measures approx 9x4x4 cm

The mass is fairly solid and heterogeneous in texture.  He, the Endo, calls it a nodular goiter.  Questions that come to mind is degree of complexity of the surgery i.e can the entire mass be removed in one surgery given it's location?  The other obvious question: is it malignant? Second what kind of surgical experience can I expect and what type of recovery period should I expect?  I am a male age 66