Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

WHO GETS MOUTH ULCERS WITH THRYOID DISEASE?

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SUFFERED SEVERE DEBILITATING MOUTH ULCERS IN THE PAST AND WONDERED WHY?
I DID AND FOUND IT TO RELATE TO HYPOTHYROIDISM.
THIS IS A TOPIC THAT ISNT DISCUSSED MUCH HERE.
I didn't see the option I wanted. I get them sometimes. Mostly, I had them when my D was very low. I had some big sores, especially around the gum line.
Recently i had 3 ulcers in my mouth. My TSH level is 0.187 and on a dosage of 75mcg's of Synthroid which was just changed yesterday.
Hmmm... that's interesting! I did have a bunch of blister like sores on the inside of my bottom lip a few months ago and yes I was low at the time. (dropped because of right TT)  I used to get them more often years ago but I most likely wasn't regulated or even DX with thyroid issues at the time. I wondered why I got them again after so many years of not having them. Maybe it is connected.

Years ago my Dermo told me to hold ice on the area and the longer I did the quicker it would heal. It's a great remedy if you can reach the area with some ice.
Now when you say mouth ulcers, what exactly are you talking about? I thought I had bitten my tounge while sleeping. Maybe I was wrong. How long do they take to appear, could they appear over night?
Nope can't say I ever have had ulcers when hypo. Now tooth abscesses..they are the killer for me! But then again I have Hashi's. Maybe the ulcers are a Graves thing?
They call them 'canker sores' and when I was hypo a few times, they were so painful.
They can be on the tongue..the inside of the mouth, under the tongue.
They start off looking like a chicken pox blister then WHAM!
Before you know it, as one heals ...another erupts.
You can have a clear mouth when you wake up and an hour later...a mouthful of the little b@ggers.
I know they stopped me from eating for days at a time.

I know I suffered for a long time with them and lateky while levels are normal......they have stopped.
I honestly believed I was the only one who has suffered with them.
I was wrong....