Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Weight Loss

I was diagnosed with papillary thryoid cancer 2 years ago and had my entire thyroid removed.  After the surgery I wasn't losing any weight or gaining, while eating a healthy diet, so I began an exercise program 3 days a week with a personal trainer.  That was over a year ago.  I haven't lost an ounce.  I am healthier and I've lost almost 3 dress sizes, but no weight.  I know I've gained some muscle; however, will I ever lose the pounds?  
Good question! I'd love to hear what people say on this. I have heard conflicting stories all over the place but my doc seems to think alot of it is attitude??  You, however, sound like you have a great attitude and have been working hard so that does not make sense to me. I had lost 50 lbs prior to my surgery 2 weeks ago and want/plan to keep losing. I am a bit worried about this hindering my progress but will keep working hard even if the scales don't show it... cuz' just as you have said, feeling fitter and seing a change in your body even if not on the scales is worth it. I would think your body is just totally revamping itself and obviously it is reacting in it's own way. Don't get discouraged! Scales are just a number - your body shows the true results!!  Blessings to you!  DarlaLOU