Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Weight loss and hypothyroidism :(

Okay, I was born without a thyroid,

pretty much all my life (18 years) i have been over weight, not obese, but yeah uncomfterably overweight,
i can honestly say, when it comes to TRYING to lose the weight, I haven't had much self control, I've never really tried. Well, since i started actually trying, and fighting my cravings, ive lost 12 pounds..and thats only been two weeks, and i know that can't be healthy, ive been walking, and i cut out all cokes and soft drinks, well i had one yesterday,
but i walked extra...so it wouldnat add on...

Am i pushing myself to hard?
I wanna get to atleast 180...but 150 is my overall goal, and i weigh as of this morning when i got up 238......so...i hope that i can do it...anywords of encouragment...anything?

Tell me if i am pushing myself to hard as well..

Thank you all!
Yes, here are some words of encouragement.  YOU GO, GIRL!

Congratulations on making a decision to get healthier, I admire that in anyone.  I had the same conversation with myself - could probably lose weight if I really tried to cut out eating all the junk I eat - today on the way home from work.  I can't say I made as much progress as you did.  

Okay, now just to make sure you are not pushing too hard - are you eating a well balanced diet - fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy products?  If you are, you probably are doing okay.  Some of that 12 pounds might be water weight loss, so it probably is not as harmful as you think.  The exercise is great as well.    You might want to try a multi vitamin with iron just to make sure your body is getting everything it needs.

You should be able to tell if you are pushing too hard.  If you start to feel sick, you might want to lighten up on the calorie counting a bit.  But, I don't mean that to discourage you.  Lots of people lose weight at different rates, so you could be okay as long as you are eating healthy.  Shoot for your 180 goal first, then work on getting to 150.  

Good luck to you!