Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

What happens if I quit taking levothyroxine?

I was diagnosed with Graves at 27. In a years time I had a complete thyroidectamy(?). I have been taking levothyroxine ever since. What would happen to me if I just quit taking the medicine all together? I hate taking a pill everyday and sometimes to get refills for up to a week. Just curious......
It's very dangerous to quit taking your thyroid medication. It is replacing what your thyroid used to do, and it is necessary.
When the levels of thyroid hormones become very low, the symptoms get worse and can result in a serious condition called myxedema coma. Myxedema coma is a rare but life-threatening condition. People with hypothyroidism who are in or near a coma should be taken to an emergency department immediately.

Myxedema Coma Causes
If you have hypothyroidism, then any of the following can contribute to myxedema coma:

Infections, especially lung and urine infections
Heart failure
Stroke
Trauma
Surgery
Drugs, such as phenothiazines, amiodarone, lithium, and tranquilizers, and prolonged iodide use
Not taking prescribed thyroid medications

Simply - your body eventually will shut down.

This is fatal and will cause death if your medication is not taken
Your TSH will go sky high and you will feel like dying. Trust me, I didn't take any meds for 6 weeks after total thyroidectomy (as many people here have experienced) and my level got so high I could not focus my eyes. It's about as close as you can get to actually WANTING to die because you just want relief for how bad you actually feel. My aunt had a thyroidectomy when she was 11 years old and a few years ago, when she was in her 40's, she decided she was sick of taking a pill everyday and wanted to see what would happen. About 2 months along with no meds she was driving down the road and had to pull over and for about 30 minutes she did not know who she was or where she was going. They took her to the hospital and she was a mess. SO, don't stop taking your pills. It may be a pain but it could mean your life.
To stop taking your thyroid hormone medication is very dangerous.  The chemicals in the medication is used to help the pituitary and other parts of the endocrine system produce hormones without the thyroid.  Even though you don't have yor thyroid anymore, you still need the hormones to be able to have simple things such as energy, to grow(for children), and feel emotions.  So, don't stop taking the pills.
Everyone is right . No pill = death. Its not a big deal to take a little pill everyday so you can have a good quality of life and be healthy. Would you quit taking your insulin if you were diabetic? Its like that So take your pill and dont worry about it and get on with living. there are a lot worse things that could be wrong with you.
Love Venora