Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Why aren't my symptoms going away?

I'm a 25 year old female diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in 2004 after the birth of my first child.  I am currently taking 112 mcg of Levothyroxine.  My levels have ranged any where from .5 - 2.5 in the last year and a half.  Partly because I am not always good about taking my medicine and partly because I had another baby in July of 2006.  

Once I started the treatment I did feel better, but not back to how I was before this happened.  My TSH started at 314 and slowly went down with each dosage increase.  I still have all of my symptoms however!! My hair loss being the one I am most concerned about.  Before this all happened I had very thick hair.  Now after 4 years of treatment I look aweful.  I was hopeful that after treatment it would grow back.  It just keeps falling out!!!!   Not in clumps like it did in the begining but still at a higher than normal amount.

My mental status is right up there for me with the hair loss concern.  I can't concentrate.  I have to write notes for myself and set timers because I forget everything.  I can't even remember what drawer the silverware is in in my own house!!!  I forget where I am going while I drive.  I can't remember if I took my medication.  Just stuff that makes my daily life difficult.  I have had aweful depression that I have been given medication for (Wellbutrin) that does no good.  I have mood swings that I cannot control!  

I am always cold. I have to warn my patients when I go to draw their blood because they jump out of their skin when I touch them.  My skin is always dry no matter how much lotion I put on.  I'm still always tired and I am about 30 pounds heavier than I was before I was diagnosed and had kids!  

My TSH and T4 are always in normal range.  I am a lab tech so I test it often to make sure!  My doctor will not up my medication anymore.  

I just want to know if there are any other options that would help me.  I just want to go back to how I was before all of this!!!  I have heard of the Armour helping some people.  I guess I am just skeptical because T4 should convert to T3!!  And when my T3 was tested it was fine.  Any suggestion would be great.  I don't know how much longer I can put up with this!!!!  
I saw your post and had to reply because I have the same exact problems as you. The difference is that I'm not on any meds. I take different supplements however. The Hair problem is my worst symptom. I have suffered with hair loss since the birth of my second child in 1995 but within the last year it has really progressed!! I was diagnosed with Hashi's in June of 2007 with TSH being in normal range as well. My endocrinologist wanted to try me on the lowest dose of levoxyl to see how I responded. My TSH went from 1.42 to .37 in 2 months so he stopped the meds. I have tried everything to help the hair loss and have yet to find something that works! I too am depressed because of the hair loss and don't want meds for that. I just want my hair back!!!!! By the way I am 36 and have gone from having long incredibly thick, to die for, all the guys staring at me, red hair to thin see through spots on my head. Sometimes I feel guilty for feeling this way but I gaurantee you that any woman in our shoes would feel the same way. Just want you to know that you are not alone in this!!
Have your ferritin checked. Low ferritin can be a cause of hair loss according to dermatologists.
Ferritin is the storage protein for iron. It will drop long before you are clinically anemic. With a low ferritin you are considered iron deficient. The serum iron can be normal, but ferritin is the most accurate indicator of iron deficiency.
Hematologists recommend a ferritin of at least 50. Low ferritin can cause almost the same symptoms as anemia!
My ferritin is low and I am working on getting treatment despite doc saying I don't need iron.
I lost hair in high school- Alopecia Areata. I had 4 bald patches that grew back in about 1 year. My hair has been a point of vanity for me ever since. I know how you guys feel.
I am constantly advising  people to have their adrenals checked.  Adrenal fatigue has the same symptoms as low thyroid. Hair loss being one of them, along with fatigue, depression, anxiety, etc.  Next time you go for a blood test, make sure they test your metabolic panel, DHEA, cortisol, Vit D and B12.  You could be deficient in any of these.
The normal range for TSH is very broad and includes a wide variety of people.

What is important is what your body's TSH is supposed to be.
What it was two years before you got sick.

Your TSH needs to be within .75 or less of that number to start feeling better. Once you are there, it could take quite a while for some of the symptoms to go away.

The anti-body count is important, too. The more anti-bodies you produce, the faster the disease progresses. If you have a very low count of anti-bodies, you may go long periods with the same dosage working just fine. If you have a high anti-body count, your hormone levels can change quickly and often.

So, it takes continuous monitoring and a lot of guessing to find the correct med dosage and maintain it.

I think.
I'm not a doctor.  
Kitty9309 and ifupleze are also correct.

Their ideas are better, too. :)  
AR-10 and ifupleze make good points also. Make sure the TSH is right for YOU!

I am also a lab tech (microbiologist at Quest) and I am amazed you can still do your own labwork. I nearly got fired 2 years ago for asking a co-worker to look for the swab for my sinus culture! I do  remember the old days, though. That's how I found out I was pregnant both times!