Why would doc test for sedimentation rates?

Hi, me again...
I am hyperthyroid and haven't been told the cause of it yet.  Last round of blood tests included a test for sedimentation rate.  Does anyone know why this was included and also if high what does that mean, low what does that mean?
A sedimentation rate is used to see how fast the red blood cells settle at the bottom of the test tube. This is done to test for inflammation/infection, autoimmune diseases, also to check the progression of autoimmune diseases and how effective the treatment may be. Not sure if you have been diagnosed with anything as of yet, but the doc could be looking for an autoimmune cause of thyroid issues or just to see if there is any inflammation in the body in which the sed. rate would be increased. I hope that helps. Low means that nothing is going on.