Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members

after thyroidectomy from graves

does graves come back after partial thyroidectomy? had it done 9yrs ago & seems i'm getting worse this year. My doc only checks tsh its off half the time.The endocronologist said check t3 & t4,my t3 was always off even when the tsh was normal.Long term i never got my activity back,always exaulsted,muscle loss pain,joint pain stiff,high heartrate 100-135.High blood pressure,trimmers.Internal trimmers.
1 Responses
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
If your doctor is only testing TSH, you don't really know what's going on and it may be time for a visit back to the endo.  Once you have Graves Disease, you always have it and since you only had a partial thyroidectomy, it's very possible that the remaining portion of your thyroid is now functioning at a hyper level...

You need to insist that your doctor test Free T3 and Free T4, along with the TSH so you know what's going on.  If s/he won't do that, you should find a different doctor that will, since all of your symptoms point to hyperthyroidism.

Make sure you specify FREE T3 and FREE T4 as the tests to be done vs just T3 and T4 or you will get Total T3 and Total T4. They aren't the same tests and won't give you as much information...
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child