Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

found out I have high calcium/low vitamin D? parathyroid?

I've always had fatigue here and there for the past couple of years, but for the passed 3 months, I've been feeling symptoms of having hyperparathyroidism from what I've been reading. My lab results came back a couple days ago and shows my blood calcium is high (10.6) and vitamin D is low (20). I'm honestly someone that hardly sees any sunlight and stays inside all day (have been like this for 2-3 years) which makes me wonder if that's the cause of the vitamin D deficiency? I also read that vitamin D deficiency + high calcium can be a parathyroid problem. I read that it's dangerous to take vitamin D if your calcium is high from your parathyroids. Does this mean that if I don't have any problems with my parathyroids, it's possible to take vitamin D and inturn, this will lower my calcium?

Sorry to ask these questions, but hopefully you can be of some help! I'm getting my PTH test done and waiting for the results. I really don't know if I have hyperparathyroidism, but everything seems to be pointing to it so far ): I was just wondering if the lack of going outside/eating foods rich in vitamin D could possible make my calcium levels high? Thanks!
I agree that it sounds like hyperparathyroidism.  You can get some good insight from this link on Vitamin D and hyperparathyroidism.  I think it will answer your questions.  
Forgot the link.

http://www.parathyroid.com/low-vitamin-d.htm
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, the lack of going outside can cause you to be deficient in vitamin D, but a lot of us are deficient, even if we do go outside... The older we get, the less efficient our bodies are at producing vitamin D (which is actually a hormone, not a vitamin) from the sun.  Taking vitamin D supplement will increase your vitamin levels, which can ease a lot of symptoms, including fatigue.

Taking vitamin D, however, will not lower your calcium levels, though vitamin D is necessary to properly absorb calcium, as is magnesium and vitamin K2.  If you don't have a parathyroid issue, you'll have to have your doctor figure out why your blood calcium is higher than normal.  For some reason, calcium isn't getting where it needs to be, which is the bones.  

Do you have a history of kidney stones?  

Have you had your thyroid levels tested?  Vitamin D is necessary for the proper metabolism of thyroid hormones and since your level is so low, I'd have to wonder about your actual thyroid hormones.  You should ask to get tested for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH.  Don't settle for just TSH, like many doctors want to order, as that's a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone and it really tells very little.

You should not take vitamin D supplements until it's been determined whether or not you have hyperparathyroidism.
COMMUNITY LEADER
"Low Vitamin D levels can cause the parathyroid glands to produce more parathyroid hormone in some patients. Your doctors may check your Vitamin D levels to ensure your PTH level is not high for this reason, but Vitamin D deficiency will never cause your calcium level to be high as well."
Thank you so much! I actually read that whole website because I'm really convinced I have a parathyroid issue. That's actually where I read that it can be dangerous to take Vitamin D if you have hyperparathyroid disease. I'm waiting for the results for my PTH to see if I have parathyroid problems. It's quite confusing because I see on here, and other places that even with a normal PTH, some people were evnetually able to find out they had this disease :s
Thank you so much Barb! I'm a little worried about my doctor since he first thought all my symptoms were due to anxiety ): After ordering the blood test and finding out I had low vitamin D, he insisted that I take Vitamin D supplements everyday without even being concerned about my high calcium level! After doing some research I went back to the office and asked for a PTH + calcium test so I should expect the results in a couple days. AHHH this whole thing is frustrating! I've been feeling sick for months and just want to feel better. It's hard be patient haha.

But anyways, thanks a bunch for your advice. I only got my TSH checked (came out normal) but didn't get the others checked. Thanks so much!
The PTH test is not always conclusive.  So I would not be deterred by a negative PTH test.  I would have more confidence in a diagnosis based on your symptoms and the low D and high calcium.  
Thank you Gimel! I just suppose it'd be easier if my PTH came out abnormal so my doctor would actually refer me to and endo. I should be getting my results tomorrow and I'm worried if it comes out normal, he'll think I'm nuts and just tell me to take vitamin D. Ah well, I guess we'll see how it goes.
If he does, give him a copy of the link I gave you above and tell him the low D and high calcium, along with those symptoms, are conclusive.
I got my PTH level back and was told it was 20 (normal). I got my calcium checked again at the same time and it showed to be 10 now instead of 10.6 last week. My symptoms seem to be gone now, besides the fatigue. I read that for my age, sometimes high blood calcium is normal? I'm not sure, but now I think I may not have a parathyroid problem...I'm thinking of taking vitamin D like my doctor suggested.
How many times have you been tested for calcium?  Please post all the results you have.
Having a high calcium blood level is never normal. I am in a very similar situation as you. My blood calcium has been anywhere from 10.4 to 10.9 for over 5 years. My pth is low normal.

I finally got in to see an endo, and she put me on a very high dose of vit D because I was very deficient (19). I had a sestimibi scan of my parathyroids and it didn't show any enlargements or tumors. I then read that these scans are only about 50% accurate.

I have many symptoms of parathyroid disease, but many of those overlap the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I had my thyroid removed last September, and although my TSH,Free t3 and Free t4 are "within range", my free t3 is very low. My endo doesn't seem to care so much what the free t3 is, and says it has such a short half life that it doesn't matter where in the normal range it falls. I think she is wrong.

I am feeling slightly, but only slightly better, after 6 weeks of the vit D. My latest test shows it has improved from 19 to 40. I have been spending more time in the sun, as well.