Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

goiter with high sugar

Hello

A few years ago my dad was diagnosed with having a goiter. Nothing further was done.... no test.. nothing..
I have been trying to get him to see an endocrinologist for about a year. Just sat he went to our GP and they told him his sugar was 250 and today it reached 300. My dad is overweight (just in the belly) and is 61 years old but I am concerned that this high sugar count comes out of now where and now he is a diabetic? Still no one seems to be looking at the goiter? Should I continue to get him to see a specialist.
concerned for my dad
Yes, your dad should go to an ENDO.  Diabetes and thyroid disease are both endocrine, or hormone, problems. When thyroid disease occurs in someone with diabetes, it can make blood glucose control more difficult. He must test his TSH, free T3, free T4, thyroid antibodies (TPO and anti-Tg), cholesterol (triglyceride, LDL, HDL), fasting plasma glucose (FPG) test , an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT).